SQL Assistant 13.0 - Enhancements and Differences

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

SQL Assistant 13.0 - Enhancements and Differences

This presentation describes the new features introduced in SQL Assistant 13.0 and points out the similarities and differences between this and previous versions.

SQL Assistant 13.0 is an entirely new application that has been re-designed from the ground up. It has been designed to look and act very much like previous versions of the product, by default, but it now uses the Microsoft .Net Framework rather than Visual Basic 6.

There are now many more options, and features, and a few things have changed a little.

This presentation will help those who have used the application in the past make a smooth transition to the new version.

The presentation is available in 2 formats. Select the one that best matches your requirements:

12 REPLIES

Re: SQL Assistant 13.0 - Enhancements and Differences

Nice read about the changes. I like that you touch on the bad sides as well. Performance has hit our shop hard and really feels like at big step back. Hoping for a better release down the road. We are the geeks who would rather trade the fancy office look for speedy startup and grand history file =)
Teradata Employee

Where and when can I get it :) ?

Teradata SQL Assistant 13.00.00.05 is available for download from the "Teradata At Your Service" site.

Are there any plans for a platform independent solution based on Java and JDBC (similar to Oracle's SQL Developer) to be offered eventually?
N/A

Mike, I know that you mentioned in the PDF and presentation that the new SQL Assitant would use more memory and it would startup slower, but on my machine which unfortunately is probably more memory starved and process starved that it should be, it takes roughly 20 seconds for it to start up and there seems to be a slight lag time when closing answerset windows and even in opening the answerset when the data is being returned. Are there things in progress to somehow speed some of this up? It also seems to have some issues with re-drawing itself if behind other windows and then brought to the front. Now again this could be to my system running low on resources. Just curious mainly cause when I roll this out to my users, I am sure to get a lot of people complaining about the slowness.
Teradata Employee

I think there is going to be a java query tool at some point but I dont know how much of the same functionality it will have, or how soon it will be released.
Teradata Employee

20 seconds is very slow if this is NOT the first time you started it after booting up, but the first time after booting your pc it could take up to about 40 sec on an older or low memory pc.
Something else that will slow it down is if you have a large number of history rows and you have not applied a filter. Previous versions loaded only the first 'n' rows (which masked the slow start) but the new one requires you to set a "most recent 'n' days" filter to provide a similar limit.
Also make sure you have the latest version - 13.0.0.5 since there were improvements added.
Teradata Employee

Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.01 is available for those looking for a platform independent alternative. See "http://developer.teradata.com/tools/articles/sql-assistant-java-edition-13-01-available" for details.

It is not completely equivalent with SQL Assistant (but it's catching up real fast) and the Java team would love to hear what features you want to see in it.

Mike, I have a very strange issue. I am on Terdata SQL Assistance 13.11.0.03, database version Teradata 12.00.0321 12.00.03.21, ODBC 13.10.00.06. When I execute a query the Answerset window returns the data back very slow. Other developers can run the same query and the result set back in seconds. I have uninstalled teradata twice and still have the same issue. Any assistance would be great. Example, I select a table that only has 234 rows, after 7 minutes it had only returned 20 rows of the 234 rows.