SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.0 available

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.0 available

Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition release 13.0 is available for download. It provides an information discovery tool for retrieving and displaying data from Teradata Database systems. It can be run on multiple operating system platforms, such as Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX. It is built in top of the Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP) which allows SQL Assistant Java Edition to benefit from the many high quality Eclipse features available while focusing on value-add for the Teradata Database.

Key features include:

• Modular Display that allows you to move panels around, creating a custom look and feel.
  • Data Source Explorer for viewing database objects such as schemas, tables, macros, stored procedures, views, indexes, etc.
  • Connection Profile Wizard for creating connections using the Teradata JDBC Driver.
  • SQL Scratchpad/SQL Editor to create, modify, and execute SQL statements.
  • Result Set Viewer that creates a historical record of submitted SQL queries.
  • Ability to save and export result sets to various formats, such as XML, HTML, CSV, and Excel.
  • Data wizard to extract and load data to and from a file on the desktop.

For more information on using Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition, refer to the article, SQL Assistant Java Edition.

28 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.0 available

@fgrimmer:

The SQL Assistant Java Edition is cool :-) Congratulations !

Some questions:

- Why databases are not organized as Parent and Child in the Data Source Explorer?
- The schema concept is new? (What is schema? Same concept of database schema as
Oracle, SQL Server...)
- In the future it will include other features?
Example: Features of Teradata Administrator, Teradata Manager...
- The future trend is to make a unique tool like IBM Data Studio ?

regards,
Teradata Employee

The Data Source Explorer uses the Eclipse DTP SQL model to display database objects, which is presented flat. The Teradata View will present the database parent/child relationships.

Also the DTP SQL model refers to databases as schemas.

We are working on enhancing SQLA JE, adding functionality to match Teradata Administrator as well as enhancements that exists in our Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse, such as dialogs and wizards to help users create, drop, or rename database objects, and perform other database operations.
Enthusiast

Thanks for your response fgrimmer!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Enthusiast

I have installed teradata for VMware Player along with Vmplayer version 3.0 on my window 7 -64 bit. I want to work with teradata sql assistant and that too i have installed but i'm not able to make connection with database. I have add a cop entry in Host file 127.0.0.1 localhost dbc dbccop1 DemoTDATcop1 but still it is not working. Even i'm not getting anything while using the URL : https://127.0.0.1/8333/ui. Please help me.
Teradata Employee

Can you verify that your Teradata VMware database is up by running a bteq logon command? Are you running SQLA JE from the VMware image or outside?
Enthusiast

Thanks Fgrimmer.
I'm running SQLAJE outside - i mean i installed it outside in C: directory of my system. pls tell me the commands so that i can verify again that db is started or not. Please help with cop entry in host file also.
Teradata Employee

Since you are running SQLA JE from outside the VM, I believe you need to find the IP address of the VM for the remote connection to Teradata from SQLA JE. From looking at an earlier discussion in Cloud Computing, James posted regarding setting up the networking option.

"when installing VMware and installing/starting TD Express ("NAT" is its default for the network adaptor I notice - keep this setting). In your host OS (Windows for me) go to your "VMware Infrastructure Web Access" web page where your TD Express machine is marked as running. Click the Summary tab. In the Status box on the right you will see "Power State, Guest OS, Virtual Hardware Version, blah, IP 192.168.245.128" or some such IP address. This is the IP address you need when you create an ODBC datasource in your host OS. No port number or anything else is required - just accept the defaults."

But for SQLA JE we use JDBC instead of ODBC, so this IP address would be used in your Host file.
Can you try this and let me know?
Teradata Employee

To verify that your database is running, you can try to logon using bteq.
On your VMWare machine,
- bring up the Teradata Command window and enter
- > bteq
- > .logon 127.0.0.1/dbc
- > password? dbc

If successful then Teradata is up. If it is not up or you want to restart, enter
tpareset f
to force a reset.

Another option to find the IP address of your VMWare is to run the Linux command ifconfig (/sbin/ifconfig) inside your VMWare machine.

Then bring up SQLA JE on your Windows 7 system and from the Data Source Explorer, create a new connection. You can use the IP address directly or create an entry in your host file for the IP address.

I hope that is helpful.
Enthusiast

Thanks Fgrimmer. It starts working. Really appreciate your help.
Thanks a lot.