SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.01 available

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.01 available

Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition release 13.01 is now available for download. SQLA JE provides an information discovery tool for retrieving and displaying data from your Teradata Database systems. It can be run on multiple operating system platforms, such as Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX. It is built on top of the Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP) which allows SQL Assistant Java Edition to benefit from the many high quality Eclipse features available while focusing on value-add for the Teradata Database.

New features in this release include:

• Updated for Eclipse 3.5.2 and DTP 1.7.2
  • Advanced authentication to allow for LDAP and Kerberos logon options
  • Option to save the user's logon password
  • Improved JDBC Properties user interface
  • FastExport and FastLoad of table data
  • Parameterized queries that allow for named parameters within your SQL query
  • SQL Templates: SELECT, INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE, and many more
  • Drag and drop object names from the Data Source Explorer into the SQL Editor

For more information on using Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition, refer to the article, SQL Assistant Java Edition.

16 REPLIES

Re: SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.01 available

Each time i shutdown and startup my laptop my Database Connections are gone and i have to create them again. Is there a setting that i am missing or something?
Teradata Employee

No, they should not go away. The connection profile information is stored in a metadata file in the workspace directory. If that is being deleted for some reason, then the connection profiles are deleted as well. The default location for the workspace directory is created in your home directory (C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\workspace)

I found the file C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\workspace\sqla and it has size > 0 and contents. I shutdown and startup and C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\workspace\sqla has size 0 and no contents. Any suggestions as to why? I have a workaround of exporting my profiles to a file and importing after each startup. However, i would like to not have to do that each time.
Teradata Employee

The files that contains the connection profile information are driverStorage.xml and ServerProfiles.dat and located in the worksapce/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity/ directory. What operating system are you running on?

Debian package please

Please consider adding Debian package in your future release please.

As to "why Debian", let me just put it this way, when Google create apps, it first creates Debian packages, rpm packages only comes next. The Linux-friendly internet-giant's decision should mean something.

FYI:

Google Voice and Video Chat Now Available for Ubuntu and Debian Linux
http://www.techtickle.com/google-voice-and-video-chat-now-available-for-ubuntu-and-debian-linux.html

Voice and video chat for Linux, currently supports Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linux distributions only
and RPM support is expected to come soon.

multi-databases

Hi,

I need to access multiple databases within a single database connection.

It's trivial within the traditional Teradata SQL Assistant, but how can I do that in SQL Assistant Java Edition?

thanks

Teradata Employee

You can access multiple databases (or schemas) within a single database connection by providing the fully qualified name for the table access in your query. If you don't provide the database name, then it is assumed to be using the default database that you provided with the connection profile.

Hi,

Many times the assistant is very slow and even freezes for nearly a minute. This happens when trying to view a schema or it's tables, and even when writing a simple 'select' query. It seems as if the assistant tries to fetch the table(s) properties or something similar, and since there is A LOT of data in our DBs, it takes a while. A long while.

Is there any way of 'loading' this information when starting the assistant? I don't mind waiting for a couple of min each day, at startup for the tool to load and cash all the data.

When we used the 'regular' assistant (not the Java Edition one) things were a lot faster, though less options (like the graphic query builder) were available.

Thanks
Teradata Employee

There is information that SQL JE is gathering from the Database about the database objects when loading them in the Data Source Explorer, as well as during syntax checking. The product will access information in the DBC tables, using the basic database views provided. There are additional views (ViewV and ViewsVX) that contain the same information but perform faster. You can switch SQLA JE to use those views by setting the option in the Teradata Datatools Preferences (go to Window>Preferences>Teradata Datatools Preferences). The concern is that not all users have access to those views. If you do have access to those DBC views, you can try changing this option to improve the performance.

Another thing you can do is turn off the syntax checking when entering SQL queries. This can be done by going to Window>Preferences, then Data Management>SQL Development>SQL Editor. Uncheck the 'Enable syntax validation' option. This should speed up the time when entering your query.

Another thing you could do that could possibly help with performance is to collect statistics on your Teradata Database. This is something your DBA would need to do. This would help with index referencing that is occurring in the DBC view.