This problem depends on the data type of the column it is trying to size.
I would need to know the definition of the columns returned by the query, the column titles [if different from the column names] and maybe some sample data.
A copy of the UserOptions.config file would also be helpful to determine your window sizes etc.
Changes were made that may have corrected this problem since 184.108.40.206. Have you tried the latest versions? (14.01, 220.127.116.11 or 18.104.22.168)
I am using 13.10 at my client place. I am sure this is nothing with data definitions, because if I run the same query's in 12 - they are working fine. this is not the first time I am having hardtime. At my previous client place also I had the same issue (It was 13.10 again). I was bugging somany (like collegues/dba's). I couldn't get resolution. The strange thing is - other team members using the same version, however it is working fine except few. If you connect new session it will work some time. At my previous client place - I was frustrated with this issue and I went to install TD12. I was happy with 12. I do not have enough time to research on this issue. Does any one having same difficulty? If anyone know the resolution, please share it.
SQLA 13.x uses completely different code to set the column widths, and that code varies depending on the data type/size.
The only way I have been able to reproduce this problem is if the Answerset mode is set to 'Never' and I have an existing answerset [that new answers will be written to] that is currently minimized.
Same would apply if multiple results were returned and you minimized the Answerset before all results had been returned.
To avoid the problem ensure that the Answer window is not too narrow. [Generally - Not minimized - which effectively has a width of zero]
I added 2 fixes in 22.214.171.124. (For TTU 13.10)
1) avoids the 'narrow window' problem.
2) traps any error that occurs while setting column widths and simply continues. (Widths may not be set)
Same fix is in 14.01.