SQLA missing functionality

Tools
Teradata Employee

SQLA missing functionality

Hi,

Does anyone know if final version of Java SQLA will contain database export (DDL generation) functionality, which was available in early beta version.

It was one of the best features which I can not find anymore ;(

Regards
Artur
6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: SQLA missing functionality

I am not sure which beta version of SQLA Java Edition you are referring to, but if you want more database object functionality, such as DDL generation, you can install the Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse.

Refer to the article Getting Started with Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse, http://devxweb.td.teradata.com/tools/articles/getting-started-with-teradata-plug-in-for-eclipse.
Teradata Employee

Thanks, but still it will be nice to have it in SQLA Java version (this way we could be coming closer and closer to the Atana Suite, having more and more functionality in one place). I was using very old beta version which had very strange about window, showing text "that developer did not know what to put there". Very likly they have used Eclipse plug-in functionality at that time.
Enthusiast

Hi!
I'm missing some functionality (or I did not find it yet :-)
In the SQL editor
- Drag and drop of table- and column-names
- Code completion for table/columnames (for the currently selected database)
- Hiding the "empty" tree nodes when there are no child-nodes (would it make easier to work with)
- The hirarchical tree view with the informaiton of the parent database

BR
Anton
Teradata Employee

The ability to drag object names from the Data Source Explorer tree to the SQL Editor has not yet been implemented in the SQLA Java Edition.

The code completion feature needs additional work to offer table names, column names, function names, etc. in more contexts within the SQL statements. This work is planned.

The Data Source Explorer view doesn't have the ability to filter out empty nodes. We will put that request in for consideration.

The Data Source Explorer shows all databases and users at one level in the tree. The "Teradata" tab that shows details of the selected objects does show the owner of the selected database/user in its Overview tab. You can double-click on the owner's name to see the owner's details. Also, when a database has children, they are listed in the Overview tab of the database. Currently, that is the mechanism that is available to see the hierarchy of databases.
Enthusiast

Some about the UI:
- The UI-Editor is a very usefull feature ... is planned to inprove it in the future? It would be perfect for some of our business users. Adding a table/view should be more like the common Eclipse "Open Resource" dialog. It takes up to 5 seconds to load and there is no filter nor it does remember the scope of a previous action.
Editing existing SQL's etc. is missing. It would be great to have it more like an graphical editor for workspace resources rather than only a dialog (multipage-editor, with a SQL source tab)
- Nearly all table views forget their column width when the selection or context changes (e.g. TD View). That makes it very inconinient to work with, it would be great if the colum width is persisted somehow
- The Teradata view could have a "link with tree" flag, because it refreshes everytime even when I do not need the information (I know i can close the view :-)

Besides, great work so far! BR Anton
Teradata Employee

The visual SQL Builder developed by Eclipse's Data Tools Platform (DTP) was integrated into SQLA Java Edition without any enhancements done by Teradata. Some improvements will need to be done by the DTP developers. We'll create enhancement requests for such things as maintaining memory of previous actions.

The SQL Builder is limited to the generic SQL syntax that is supported by DTP's built-in SQL parser. We have plans eventually to implement the pieces necessary to support Teradata's SQL dialect.

If the SQL in the SQL editor can be parsed by the built-in SQL parser and if the SQL Editor is connected to the database, you should be able to select the SQL statement in the editor, right-click on it, and select the "Edit in SQL Query Builder" in the context menu. The statement will then be shown in the SQL builder dialog. (If it doesn't parse it will ask if you want to create a new statement.)

By having a "link with tree" flag, do you mean that the information for a selected node in the Data Source Explorer tree shouldn't automatically be shown in the Teradata View? Is there a performance issue? Or are the frequent changes in the window distracting?

We're happy to hear that you like what we've done.