Searching and Running the different Teradata utilities in Unix Environment

Tools
Enthusiast

Searching and Running the different Teradata utilities in Unix Environment

Hello All,
I am a Newbie to Teradata.
I want to know some details regarding the Teradata Utilities such as Fastload,Mload,Fast Export,Tpump Etc.

I know what each of the Utilities are used.I have to do testing for an Upgradation Project.

I want to know as to how to search in the Unix environment for the different scripts that use these utilities and how to run them separately without the use of daemons.

Thanks in Advance for any kind of Help that is being rendered.

With Regards,
N.V.Balasubramaniam
6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Searching and Running the different Teradata utilities in Unix Environment

N.V.Balasubramaniam,

I am not sure if I understood you correctly, but I will try to provide you with some "light".... :-)

1) To run scripts using Teradata tools you could use the following format at Unix prompt:
# "command" < "script"

Example:
# bteq < myscript.sql
or
# fastload < myfastlscript.fld

OBS: The file name extensions (".sql", ".fld") really doesn´t matter. The important thing here is
to provide the tool with the correct full file name.

2) I believe that you are trying to find some sample scripts in the Unix. I do not remember if Teradata
provides you with some samples in the directory structure, but you can find some at the
product manuals. I would recommend you to have a Teradata Utilities course as soon as possible,
if you are needing this knowledge in a short term.

3) The Teradata utilities invocation name, to be called at Unix prompt, are:
bteq = BTEQ
fexp = FastExport
fastload = FastLoad
tpump = TPump
mload = MultiLoad

You should be able to invoke those utilities from the Unix prompt without problem. If you are having
any issue regarding this, you should contact your system administrator to help you solving this
problem.

I hope this helps!
Enthusiast

Fabio,
Thanks for your reply.

You almost gave me the answer for the thing which I had ben looking for.I got the idea for running the different utilities from your reply

I want to know as to which script is using which type of utility,whether it can be found from the file name itself (i.e. aaa.mload.sh,bbb.fexp.sh etc.).

With Regards,
N.V.Balasubramaniam
Enthusiast

N.V.Balasubramaniam,

There is no shell script to you run with the tool. You will have to create them by yourself!
You may open the Fastload manual, for example, and look for an example provided there, and try to run it. You will have to copy that example from the manual, and paste it into a file to be used in the Unix.
To do that you will have to use an editor like Ultraedit or any other that is able to save files in Unix, or even use VI.
Once you have your script ready to use in Unix, you will have to adjust the user name and server name, in order to have it running properly.
Then you are all set and ready to run it!
Suppose that you have saved the sample script at Unix as "sample.txt" (again, the extension .txt does not matter - could be .zzz). Then you will run the script as "fastload sample.log".
I strongly recommend you to subscribe to a Teradata Utilities class, because although those tools are pretty simple to be used, there are a lot of tricks in their management.

Cheers!
Enthusiast

Fabio,
Thanks for Your Reply.
I will surely Register and Attend the Teradata Utilities Class that you Recomended.

Keep in Touch.

Thanks.

With Regards,
N.V.Balasubramaniam.
Enthusiast

N.V.Balasubramaniam,

One last comment: for some reason, a peace of what I wrote you was cut. Please, take a look at the attached (text.txt) file, and disregard the same phrase from the previous message. To run the utility correctly and generate a log file you could follow the same standard as it is in that file.

Regards.
Enthusiast

Fabio,
Thanks for your Concern towards me.

Thank you very much for your Help.

Keep in Touch.