TPT and Network usage

Tools
Junior Supporter

TPT and Network usage

Assuming that there is a server running TPT (Windows or Linux, doesn't matter).  Call that TPTserver.  There is a single Teradata box.  Call that TD.  I want to move data from one database to another database on TD.  If I submit the TPT script on TPTserver, does the data move from source database on TD to TPTserver and then back to TD, or is the data contained within TD?  How much network traffic between TPTserver and TD will occur in this scenario?

4 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: TPT and Network usage

Moving data from one database to another database on the same Teradata system?

Why?

There's no need for TPT, better use plain SQL.

Junior Supporter

TPT is a scripting tool with features hard or impossible to duplicate with SQL alone.

Junior Contributor

Can you show what features are hard to duplicate?

I can't imagine what you can't do with SQL. 

Btw, answering your original question, the data is moved from the TD box to the TPT box and back, unless you use the DDL operator plus pure SQL :-)

Apprentice

Hi,

Just to clarify some of these points:

As @dnoeth said to achieve the movement of data from one table to another on the same TD system then there is no requirement for data movement across a network.

It is quite likely that you would use TPT (DDL operator) to control the submission of the required SQL (assuming this processing is part of a batch job). If this processing is the proverbial 'one off' then I wouldn't use TPT, I'd logon with SQLA / Studio / Bteq and run an INSERT/SELECT.

HTH

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com