TPT and compression

Tools
Enthusiast

TPT and compression

Hello,

I am new to Teradata and TPT, but I have done my reading and research before posting my question here. I am loading large (120GB) mainframe files to Teradata, which I am able to do without any issues. My dilemma is with compression. I would like to find out ways to compress the data to reduce the network traffic, not so much interested in column compression. Does Teradata has any build in feature that can perform any such compression to reduce network traffice? I've thought about using PKZIP on mainframe to zip the entire file and load it as BLOB, then unzip it on Unix. However that approach would require me to transfer the business logic (schema layout etc.) to Unix side, which I am trying to avoid as the System Of Record for the data is on mainframe.

BTW, I am using Teradata Parallel Transporter Version 12.00.00.00. Any such features available on 13.10?

Note: I came across an article on Block Level Compression, but did not find it much useful.

Your thoughts, comments and critics are welcome.

Regards,
Mf. Flog
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: TPT and compression

Correction.
I'm using Teradata Parallel Transporter Version 13.10.00.00
Teradata Employee

In 14.00.00, we are adding support for handling gzip files. But not for mainframe just yet (technical issues).
However, that is just for handling data that arrives to TPT as compressed data.
That does not solve the issue of compressing the data across the wire to Teradata.
That type of compression would need to be performed by CLI or some other layer on the client side, and that would also require changes on the Teradata side to uncompress the data.
There is currently no support for that.
-- SteveF
Enthusiast

Thank you Steven, this helps. I will focus on compressing and un-compressing the file for the time being.