Teradata Express Edition 12.0

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Teradata Express Edition 12.0

If you are reading this then you presumably want to investigate and use the Teradata Database. As Teradata Developer Exchange is intended to address a wide range of users (Sales, Marketing, Engineering, Education) it is understandable that you may not have access to a “Full Power” Teradata (yet). However, fear not as Teradata Express Edition 12.0 allows you to have a, size restricted (4GB), Teradata 12.0 instance on your Windows PC or Laptop for evaluation and development purposes.

In order to get Teradata Express Edition 12.0 you need to go to http://www.teradata.com/express and select the “Download Teradata Express Edition 12.0 now” link. As with all Software you will need to review the License Agreement and, if it is acceptable to you, click “I Accept” to proceed to the Registration Page (standard registration stuff). Submit you registration and you will receive a download link (typically within 24 hours).

Download and Install

Once you receive the download link make sure you are on your broadband connection as the download is approximately 1GB (you are downloading Teradata). Once complete execute the downloaded and it will unzip into a local directory of another 1GB. The installation screen should start automatically and allow you to start the install.

Click on “Next – Main Menu” to proceed and check that your Windows PC/Laptop meets the Installation Requirements

Proceed (via “Next – Install Menu”) to install the Teradata BYNET Driver (software only version of the BYNET hardware used in full size systems for linear scalability of inter node communications).

Then install the Teradata Database (this is a fully featured version of Teradata 12.0, with the only restriction being a 4GB database limit - Make sure to select the 4GB database size during installation).

Teradata Express Tools (These tools are used to start and stop Teradata, verify it's installation etc - essentially this places the Teradata Service Control icon, shown below, on your desktop).

The Teradata Tools and Utilities link allows for the installation of tools such as BTEQ, SqlAssistant etc although the recommendation is to progress to the Teradata IDE Plug-In for Eclipse where ever possible.

The Additional Software option allows for the installation of the Sun JRE 6 package (to provide for Java External Stored Procedures) and the Visual C++ 2005 Express package (to compile "C" Stored Procedures and UDF's).

Startup Teradata

Once Teradata Express Edition 12.0 is installed on your PC/Laptop use the Teradata Service Control icon on your desktop to bring up the Teradata Service Control dialog and use it to Start Teradata!

The Teradata Service Control will start up the Teradata Express Edition 12.0 instance (as indicated below)

Note: If you are using a local TD12 Instance you need to start it each time you restart your PC (it is not a persistent service) Any errors such as "PDE state DOWN" usually lead back to not having your local TD12 instance running.

Accessing a Teradata Express Edition 12.0 Instance

In general all that is required to access any Teradata Instance is knowledge of its Internet Host Address/Port Number (and the appropriate User Name and Password).

On the Client side (within a Windows (XP) environment) the hosts file located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts needs to hold the following type of information.

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
#
# For a Local TD12 Instance we define Local-12 on the localhost IP address
127.0.0.1 Local-12 Local-12cop1
#
# For a Remote TD12 Instance we associate a name with a remote IP address
101.101.10.101 Remote-12 Remote-12cop1
4 REPLIES
dmg
Fan

Re: Teradata Express Edition 12.0

Size limitation is fine. That's cool that I get to try Visual Explain, Performance Monitor, System Emulator and all the utilities at home!

Hi Team,

Can i install tera data for learning perpose and trial version is available for that ?

I have tried to download but i didn't find any trial version :( .

Hi All,

how can i install this on my virtual machine

Teradata Employee

This is so out of date (I'll get it un-published once you are on the later TD Express Instances). Please go to http://downloads.teradata.com/download/database/teradata-express/vmware to get one of the latest bersion of Teradata (14.10 and 15.00 are supported versions, 15.10 TD Express comng soon).