Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse 13.11 now available

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse 13.11 now available

Teradata’s latest and greatest Eclipse offering has been released and is available in the Teradata Developer Exchange download section (Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse) . The 13.11.00 release builds on the 13.10.00 offering by boasting increased functionality.

What's New:

• Support for DTP 1.8.2
  • Support for Eclipse Helios 3.6.2 (Eclipse Galileo 3.5.2 also supported)
  • Connection Handling of Expired Passwords

Passwords can expire. In many cases the original password is a temporary password and the user is expected to change it when logging on for the first time. It is now recognized when a password expires (SQL Warning error code: 3032) and the user is prompted for the new password. The connection is retried with the JDBC property ‘NEW_PASSWORD’ set to the new password and the new password is saved in the profile.

• iBatis Create/Read/Update/Delete (CRUD) Wizard

The iBatis CRUD Wizard provides a wizard that generates the SQL and iBatis code for all of the CRUD operations (create, read, update, and delete) for a selected database table. The generated iBatis SQL map can then be used to create a Web Service or used to create a Java application that uses the iBatis framework. It provides users with a quick and easy way to create an application that can do basic operations on a Teradata database table.

• iBatis View Web Service Wizard

The iBatis View Web Service Wizard provides a wizard that creates a Web Service from a Teradata View. The new wizard generates SQL select statements on the View. The SQL statements are then put in an iBatis SQL Map. Once this is done, a Web Service is created from the new iBatis SQL Map.

• iBatis DAO Web Services Support for OUT Parameters

The iBatis DAO Web Services Wizard has added support for returning OUT parameters from a Web Service. The wizard returns the Mapped Parameter class as a response for the generated Web Service.

• Import/Export of SQL History

This feature provides the ability to export and import the history information from the Teradata SQL History to an external file. This ability allows SQL statements, which are part of the SQL History, to be shared between installations of Teradata IDE. New Export and Import menu items are provided as part of the Teradata SQL History View toolbar.

• LOB Support

LOB support includes the ability to view LOBs within the Result Set Viewer, and include LOBs as parameters when running parameterized SQL. When a query result is being processed and a result column contains an LOB, a dialog appears. The dialog requests information about where the LOB values are to be stored on the file system, what the base name of the files is to be (initially the column’s name), what the file extension should be, whether the contents of image values are to be shown as images in the result set view, and whether image values are to be saved when the images are displayed in the result set view. When LOBs are needed for parameters to a SQL statement, the Configure Parameters dialog allows the user to specify the location of the LOB file.

• Parameter Support in SQL Ant scripts

This feature provides an enhancement to the current SQL Ant Wizard that allows the user to use parameter substitution for the selected SQL queries. The user can enter values for each of the SQL parameters. These parameter values are stored in a properties file to be provided with the SQL Ant script. Parameter properties make the script more reusable. The Ant script can be configured by updating the properties file instead of changing the script directory. It facilitates the SQL Ant script usage for creating CVS files, installation, and testing.

• Schema Cache Option

The Schema Cache option allows the user to designate particular schemas (databases/users) to be cached. A schema cache file that contains the metadata for the schema is created. The metadata describes all the information about the schema, such as its tables, columns, constraints, indexes, macros, parameters, stored procedures, user defined functions, user defined types, views, and so forth. The schema cache is associated with the connection profile. If the connection profile is deleted, so is the schema cache list and any schema cache files that were created. The schema cache files are stored in the workspace /.metadata directory.

When the user first connects to the database and opens the Schemas folder, the schema cache file is created in a background job. Once the cache is created, if the user refreshes the list of schemas (by clicking the Refresh menu option on the Schemas folder), the cached schemas are loaded from the schema cache file. The schema is then highlighted within the Data Source Explorer with the cache icon, . It should be noted that any modifications that are made to objects of a cached schema are not reflected in the cache. The user must refresh the schema cache for those changes to take effect.

• Manual Option for JDBC Properties

This feature provides an option for users to manually enter a JDBC property and its value. This is useful when non-standard JDBC properties are required for the Teradata connection. In the drop down list of JDBC Properties, scroll down to the bottom and select the USER_ENTERED_PROPERTY option. A dialog appears for you to enter your JDBC property name and its value. The name/value pair is then stored and passed to the JDBC driver when creating a connection to the Teradata Database.

Need Help?

If you are new to the Eclipse world, there is an article to help you get up and running. Please refer to Getting Started with Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse.

Online Help can be accessed within the plug-in in two ways:

• From the main menu: Help > Help Contents > Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse
  • Context sensitive help: When a user is in a dialog, they can hit the F1 key to retrieve help text sensitive to where they are within the dialog.

Reference Documentation can be found on the download page or at: www.info.teradata.com

• Title: Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse Release Definition  Publication ID: B035-2035-050C
  • Title: Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse Installation Guide  Publication ID: B035-2037-050C
10 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse 13.11 now available

I am trying to install the Teradata plug in for Eclipse but I am getting an error message:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse 13.11.0.201105251120 (com.teradata.datatools.pluginFeature.feature.group 13.11.0.201105251120)
Missing requirement: Teradata Java Development Feature 13.11.0.201105251120 (com.teradata.datatools.javadevelopmentFeature.feature.group 13.11.0.201105251120)
Teradata Employee

Make sure you have the required Eclipse packages. Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse Release 13.11 requires Eclipse 3.6.2 or Eclipse 3 5.2 and DTP 1.8.2, as well as JRE 1.6. It is recommended that you install the Eclipse JEE bundle as it includes other required packages, such as EMF, GEF, and WTP.
Teradata Employee

I was using the wrong Eclipse. After I installed the JEE bundle the problem with the plug-in disappeared.

Thanks.

Hi, fgrimmer
I have used it for 6 months almost. It is very helpful to me.
I installed release 13.01 and 13.11.
But I can not find the feature "Mark Occurrences" in the both versions.
It is a very important feature while reading SQL statements.
Hopefully, I'll see it in the next version. :-)

Thanks
Metas

Teradata Employee

Eclipse DTP does not currently support the "Mark Occurrences" option for the SQL Editor. It is on our list of feature improvements.

Hi, fgrimmer

I'm new to the teradata world and in general to etl.
I
need to do reverse engineering to a project in Teradata, and not sure if the Eclipse EMF can be plugged to teradata for this purpose.

Can you please confirm if this can be done?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Geniaechev
Teradata Employee

Geniaechev,
Eclipse EMF is a modeling framework. Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse uses the Eclipse DTP which builds the database model using EMF. We have done some work in EMF to extend the DTP model, but are not experts. I would refer you to the Eclipse EMF web site for more information.

Thanks much. I'll upload my feedback after I clarify.

Hi fgrimmer,
I have loaded the Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse. However the Teradata Embedded JDBC Driver is not showing in the New Driver Definition - Specify a Driver Template and Definition Name. Any guidance would be appreciated. I have loaded the TeraJDBC__indep_indep.14.00.00.21 driver jar files.......Thanks