Teradata Studio 14.10.01 now available

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Teradata Studio 14.10.01 now available

Teradata Studio 14.10.01 is now available for download. Teradata Studio is an administration tool for creating and administering database objects. It can be run on multiple operating system platforms, such as Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX. It is built on top of the Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP) which allows Teradata Studio to benefit from the many high quality Eclipse features available while focusing on value-add for the Teradata Database.

NOTE: Support for Hadoop and Smart Loader for Hadoop is now added back into Teradata Studio with support for Hortonworks HDP versions 1.1.0.17 and 1.3.2.

What's New:

• Hadoop and Smart Loader for Hadoop

Hadoop support has been added back into Teradata Studio. The Smart Loader for Hadoop is available and supports Hortonworks HDP versions 1.1.0.17 and 1.3.2. The updated version of the Smart Loader for Hadoop uses Oozie to submit the data transfer workflow on the Hadoop system. Hadoop commodity systems must download and install the Teradata Connector for Hadoop (TDCH) version 1.0.9a. They must also download and run the Configure Oozie script (configureOozie.sh). You can download the script from the Teradata Studio download page. Follow the instructions provided in the readme file to execute the Configure Oozie script.

• Aster JDBC Driver version 5.11

Teradata Studio 14.10.01 has embedded the Aster JDBC Driver version 5.11.

• Sample Content performs SQL SAMPLE or Aster LIMIT command

The Sample Content table menu option will perform a SQL SAMPLE in Teradata or LIMIT in Aster for the given table. It will use the Sample Content Size preference (default of 100) for the given sample or limit size. A size of 0 indicates that you don't want to perform the SAMPLE or LIMIT and all rows are returned. The Sample Content Size preference can be found on the Teradata SQL Handling Preference page, under the Common tab.

NOTE: The SAMPLE option is not supported on LOB columns. Change the Sample Content Size to 0 to disable the SAMPLE option on tables with LOB column types.

• Aster Load Tables and Views Performance Improvement

A performance improvement was made so that loading the list of tables and views for schemas in Aster is now much faster.

• Teradata Result Set Processing Improvement

Previously, processing Teradata result sets would attempt to get the row count of the result set, which for very large result sets could cause a long delay. This has been improved to bypass that operation and go straight to cycling through the result set rows.

Need Help?

For more information on using Teradata Studio, refer to the article, Teradata Studio. To ask questions or discuss issues, refer to the Teradata Studio Forum and post your question.

Online Help can be accessed within Teradata Studio:

• From the main menu: Help > Help Contents > Teradata Studio
  • Context sensitive help: When a user is in a dialog, they can hit the F1 key to retrieve help text sensitive to where they are within the dialog.

Reference Documentation can be found on the download page or at: www.info.teradata.com

• Title: Teradata Studio, Studio Express, and Plug-in for Eclipse Release Definition Publication ID: B035-2040-073C
  • Title: Teradata Studio, Studio Express, and Plug-in for Eclipse Installation Guide Publication ID: B035-2037-073K
11 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio 14.10.01 now available

Hey Francine,

I have one issue in selecting all columns from a table

query: select * from dt_tab.deals;

its throwing error  Row size or Sort Key size overflow.

can you please suggest the solution.

Teradata Employee

Here is the description of the error from the Teradata documentation:

3577 Row size or Sort Key size overflow.

Explanation: The user request generated a row of data or a sort key that exceeded internal Teradata database limitations

(presently about 64230 BYTES for a row). >DR95940-BM230014-01<

NOTE: This may be a response row or a row for an intermediate spool file needed to carry out the operation. The row size

may be too large when the data fields would appear to fit, because of sort key fields.

In the case of FASTEXPORT where there is a UNION with an ORDER BY, the sort key size is too large (greater than 4096

BYTES) during vertical redistribution.

Generated By: GEN modules, OPT modules, and TAB AMPPastd modules.

For Whom: End User.

Remedy: Change the SQL and/or reduce the data field sizes and/or number of fields being returned and resubmit the

request.

------

Instead of Select *, try doing a select with column names.

Enthusiast

Hello,

I installed Teradata Studio Express 14.10.01 and have a little problemviewing the Database Structure. When I expand a table in the Data Source Explorer i see the correct column definitions, but when I want to look at the indexes I see the correct number of index entries but all are named <anonymous>. 

Teradata Administrator shows the correct names.

Regards, Thomas

Teradata Employee

How are the indexes named? Can you send the DDL for the table definition?

Enthusiast

CREATE SET TABLE D_DDMM.S5_T5100_BDE ,NO FALLBACK ,

NO BEFORE JOURNAL,

NO AFTER JOURNAL,

CHECKSUM = DEFAULT,

DEFAULT MERGEBLOCKRATIO

(

BDE_BRANCH_ID INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 1 ,

BDE_ID INTEGER GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS IDENTITY

(START WITH 26010002

INCREMENT BY 1

MINVALUE -2147483647

MAXVALUE 2147483647

NO CYCLE),

BUSINESS_STRUCT_ID INTEGER NOT NULL,

BUSINESS_TERM_ID INTEGER NOT NULL,

BDE_DESC_EN VARCHAR(5000) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,

BDE_DESC_DE VARCHAR(5000) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,

BDE_DESC_IT VARCHAR(5000) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,

BDE_COMMENT VARCHAR(5000) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,

DOMAIN_CD CHAR(10) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC,

DERIVED_IND CHAR(1) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC CHECK ( (DERIVED_IND =  'Y') OR  (DERIVED_IND =  'N') ) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'N',

MANDATORY_IND CHAR(1) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC CHECK ( (MANDATORY_IND =  'Y') OR  (MANDATORY_IND =  'N') ) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'N',

RESPONSIBLE_USER_CD CHAR(7) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC NOT NULL DEFAULT USER ,

ORIG_DERIVED_IND CHAR(1) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC,

ORIG_MANDATORY_IND CHAR(1) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC,

ORIG_REQUESTED_BY VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,

ORIG_SYSTEM VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,

ORIG_STRUCT_NAME VARCHAR(100) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,

ORIG_TERM_NAME VARCHAR(100) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,

LAST_USER_CD CHAR(7) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC NOT NULL DEFAULT USER ,

STATUS_CD CHAR(1) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC NOT NULL DEFAULT 'O',

CREATION_DT DATE FORMAT 'DD-MM-YYYY' NOT NULL DEFAULT DATE ,

CHANGE_DT DATE FORMAT 'DD-MM-YYYY' NOT NULL DEFAULT DATE ,

CARDINALITY_CD VARCHAR(1) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC,

BDE_CALCULATION VARCHAR(5000) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,

CHECK ( NOT ((STATUS_CD =  'X') AND  (MANDATORY_IND =  'Y')) ))

UNIQUE PRIMARY INDEX ( BDE_ID )

INDEX ( BUSINESS_STRUCT_ID )

INDEX ( BUSINESS_TERM_ID )

INDEX ( STATUS_CD );

Teradata Employee

Thomas, The CREATE TABLE statement above does not name the indexes, thus anonymous or blank is displayed as the index name. Viewing the table in Teradata Administrator shows the same information as in Teradata Studio. In Teradata Studio, open the Teradata View, then select the table in the DSE. Click on the Indexes tab. The name is blank and the ColumnName shows the column name associated with the index. If you want to name an index, try the following:

INDEX busIndex (BUSINESS_STRUCT_ID)

for example.

Enthusiast

Oh sorry, you're right. I was irritated by the tag 'anonymous'.

Have I mentioned that I like Teradata Studio very much? :-)

Hi there,

We are moving to 14.10 this year and I'm wondering whether to use 14.10 studio or 15?

Are they both backwards and forwards compatible?

We are all on 64 bit machines, do I have to use 64 or is 32 bit required also?

I have also seen the JRE1.6> is required and I see that people have issues with JRE1.7 (which we all have) any directions on the install and version we should us?

Also TD@YS only have the patches should I request cd's or is there a place to get the entire software package?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Teradata Employee

Steve, Teradata Studio 15.00 is available on the download site, as well as on the Teradata Patch server. I would recommend Studio 15.00 as it is our latest release and has bug fixes not in our 14.10 release. It is backwards compatible supporting Teradata 13.00, 13.10, 14.00, 14.10, and 15.00, as well as Aster 5.0, 5.10, and 6.0.

On a 64-bit machine, you can run either 32-bit or 64-bit. But if you are running 64-bit JRE then you will also need the 64-bit Studio and same for 32-bit for both. The JRE problems seem to be with the install of a specific version of JRE 1.7 (1.7.0_51), where the PATH did not get updated.