Teradata Studio Express 14.10 now available

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Teradata Studio Express 14.10 now available

Teradata Studio Express 14.10 is now available for download. Teradata Studio Express is an information discovery tool for retrieving and displaying data from your Teradata Database systems. It can be run on multiple operating system platforms, such as Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX. It is built on top of the Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP) which allows Teradata Studio Express to benefit from the many high quality Eclipse features available while focusing on value-add for the Teradata Database.

What's New:

• Teradata Database 14.10 and Aster Database 5.10 support
  • Aster Schema Cache

Schema caching provides a mechanism, which stores the selected schemas locally in the format of an XML file. The user is provided with an interface for selecting which schemas to cache. Caching allows for a quicker loading time in comparison to loading the schema from the database each time.

• Show DSE Tree Hierarchy and Load Preferences

The DSE Tree Hierarchy provides an option to display the databases in the Data Source Explorer in a hierarchical format (the flat format option is still supported as well). This provides a clearer view of relationships between databases and users. This feature also provides a set of preferences to select what to load from the database and what to display in the Data Source Explorer.

• Teradata SQL Editor

The Teradata SQL Editor provides a mechanism that allows the user to write SQL statements and execute them against a database. The Teradata SQL Editor does not replace the open source SQL Editor but instead provides a more efficient and accessible method of performing the functions. The Teradata SQL Editor includes a connection indicator, a connection profile list, an execute menu, and a save menu.

• Teradata Data Editor

The Table Data Editor provides an enhanced feature to edit tables within the Data Source Explorer. The data in the editor is broken up into pages, which allows for efficiency in updating large tables. Along with the standard insert, update, and delete, data filtering, sorting, and in-memory filtering are also supported. The user also has the option of exporting to Excel or Text files.

• XML Data Type

The 14.10 database definition provides the XML data type in addition to existing types.

• Interface Enhancements

Change Password dialog has been added to allow users to quickly change their password.

• Smart Loader for Teradata available outside Data Lab

The Smart Loader for Teradata is now available outside of Teradata Data Lab. Users can invoke the Smart Loader by right clicking on the Tables folder for a Database and choose the Smart Load Data option.

Need Help?

For more information on using Teradata Studio Express, refer to the article, Teradata Studio Express. To ask questions or discuss issues, refer to the Teradata Studio Forum and post your question.

Online Help can be accessed within the plug-in in two ways:

• From the main menu: Help > Help Contents > Teradata Studio Express
  • Context sensitive help: When a user is in a dialog, they can hit the F1 key to retrieve help text sensitive to where they are within the dialog.

Reference Documentation can be found on the download page or at: www.info.teradata.com

• Title: Teradata Studio, Studio Express, and Plug-in for Eclipse Release Definition Publication ID: B035-2040-073C
  • Title: Teradata Studio, Studio Express, and Plug-in for Eclipse Installation Guide Publication ID: B035-2037-073K
72 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata Studio Express 14.10 now available

Hi.  Love the new version.

It would appear, however, that opening a new Editor has a pull-down list of Connection Profiles that only include Teradata Connections.  I've been unable to figure out how to get it to even allow me to run queries against my Oracle or SQL Server databases.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

Teradata Employee

@neckers, Select your Oracle or SQL Server connection profile in the Data Source Explorer, then click the Open SQL Editor button in the DSE toolbar. It should open the old SQL Editor with your connection profile.

Enthusiast

Unfortunately, selecting the Connection Profile and clicking the Open Editor btton produces a window with the TERADATA connection profile pulldown.

I was able to get the old style Editor if I click on the Database object *under* the connection profile and then click the Open SQL Editor button.

Thanks,

Sean

Enthusiast

In TD Studio 14.10.01, right-clicking 'Databases' and selecting 'Filter' under 'Database Connections' causes TD Studio to hang. Here is the entry from the Event Log:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Hang

Date:          11/26/2013 11:32:51 AM

Event ID:      1002

Task Category: (101)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      XXXXXXXXXXX

Description:

The program javaw.exe version 7.0.450.18 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 1654

Start Time: 01ceeacd588604ac

Termination Time: 14

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe

Report Id: c4fa759a-56c0-11e3-b880-ec55f9f4fa05

TD Studio reported this error: Java was started but returned exit code=-805306369

I also have Eclipse running on my machine - could this be an issue related to that?

Thanks

Dave

Teradata Employee

Dave, It should not be a problem running Eclipse and Teradat Studio on the same machine unless you are sharing  the workspace. By default, Teradata Studio will name the workspace as 'workspace-studio' and by default Eclipse will name the workspace as 'workspace'. So this should not be the problem.

Was there an error in the error logs for Teradata Studio. There are two logs that are both in your workspace-studio directory. One is /.metadata/.log and the other is /.metadata/Teradata/teradata.log.

dowa this versiion contains the database samples for financial and producct like the teradata for XP Version had

Teradata Employee

@ravi, Teradata Studio Express does not include any database data. Maybe your question was for Teradata Express and not Studio? If so, please post to the Cloud Computing Forum.

Teradata Employee

Is anyone else seeing performance issues with the 14.10 Express compared to the 14.0? I had a JRE upgrade to 1.7 just before upgrading to express 14.10. I've downgraded my JRE back to 1.6, but I'm still having performance issues performing data lab tasks:

Connecting to the database takes significantly longer (minutes) - I see in the right corner a progress bar in the right corner, which I don't remember in v14.01

Selecting the database profile clocks for minutes, as does a refresh within the directory tree.

Using the loader, when I choose my file, the preview takes significantly longer on the scan than before, from seconds in 14.01 to minutes now.

Are there some config options/tuning I should be setting?

The other functions are similarly regressed in performance.

Is there some option

Teradata Employee

@RFM099, Connecting to the database has not changed so not sure why the performance would be slower. A change was made in the loading of databases, using a hierarchy display. We have fixed an issue where the system had a large number of databases or users, in our 14.10.01 release. Can you try this release and see if the performance improves?