Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

Teradata provides two Eclipse-based client tools, Teradata Studio and Teradata Studio Express. Both products are built from the same code base and provide connectivity to your Teradata and Aster Databases and Hadoop systems, but each has a different end user focus.

Teradata Studio Express is the base level product. It is an information discovery tool for retrieving and displaying data from your Teradata Database systems. Its main use is for running SQL statements, displaying result set data, and storing SQL execution history.

Teradata Studio, in addition to the features provided in Teradata Studio Express, includes administration dialogs and wizards. It's main use is for administrators to create and administer database objects. Teradata Studio is a tool for DBAs, Data Scientists, and Power Users.

Feature Comparison Chart

Below is a feature comparison chart showing the two Teradata client tools and the list of features:

Features

Studio Express

Studio

Connection Management

Support for Aster Database

Embedded JDBC Drivers

SQL Execution

SQL Templates

SQL History

(Import from SQL Assistant)

Result Set Viewer   

(Export to Excel, Text, XML, HTML)

Visual SQL Builder

Table Data Load and Extract

Object Property Form Display

(Detailed object information)

Data Labs

(Copy Objects, Smart Load)

Smart Load (Teradata, Aster, Hadoop)

Multi-Platform Support

(Windows, Mac, Linux)

Administration Perspective (Navigator, Object List Viewer, Filter View)

Create Object Forms

Drop Actions

Administer Privileges

Copy and Compare Objects

Hadoop Data Transfer

(Smart Loader for Hadoop)

Download Products

Products are available on the Developer Exchange Download page. For more information on these products, refer to the articles: Teradata Studio Express and Teradata Studio.

To ask questions or discuss issues, refer to the Teradata Studio Forum and post your question.

149 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

Can some one help please, I installed the teradata studio. I am able to connect the teradata dbms but I can't seem to find the hadoop import export connection options. Do I need to install something else to see these
Teradata Employee

@rslosey, Please refer to the Help page. Go to the top level Help menu and choose Help Contents. Open the Teradata Studio book and refer to the Hadoop Transfer Perspective.
Enthusiast

Hi !

i can't download Teradata Studio on my PC, due to site control policy ...

therefore i could download TTU from TAYS some weeks ago.

Why Teradata Studio should not be avalaible on TAYS ?

Thanks for help,

Pierre

Teradata Employee

Pierre,

We are looking into providing Teradata Studio as part of the TTU install.

Does Teradata Studio support SSO conectivity

Teradata Employee

Yes, It allows for no username or password to be specified when using LDAP and Kerberos authentication mechanisms.

When I choose KRB5 as connection mechanism, I still have to specify a password, how do I get around that. If I specify dummy password I get the error the ping failed.

For my ODBC configuration set up I can either check Use Integrated Security or Select KRB5 and don't specify login and password and can connect using SQL Assistant or TD Admininstrator.

Any Suggestions?

Teradata Employee

You should not have to enter a password when selection KRB5. Enter the database server name, (username and password are optional), and select KRB5. The Finish button will be enabled.

Teradata Employee

Thanks for this article. It's much easier to compare the functionality available in these products. Just curious, is there a reason why Plug-in is not cross platform? Does it not come with the embedded jdbc driver?