Teradata Studio

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata Studio

OK, I started playing with it a little more, and I think I understand how the copy functionality works, but I can't seem to make it handle more than one object at a time. I can drag multiple tables (for example) into a database on another system, but the copy window then only allows me to generate the copy DDL for one table at a time via the pull-down. Is there no way to have the Copy facility generate the DDL for ALL of the selected objects? If I'm trying to copy, say, 20+ tables, this becomes pretty tedious to keep generating the individual DDL, and it's actually easier to simply select the multiple tables in the DSE window, right-click, and hit "Generate DDL". The copy facility seems to actually be less efficient (unless I'm misunderstanding it, which is entirely possible).
Teradata Employee

@Ryan.Costello, To find out more information on the Copy/Compare, go to the Help>Help Contents. Open the book Teradata Studio>Teradata Administrator>Copy and Compare Database Objects.

The copy is intended as a single object copy, so yes, one at a time. Teradata has other tools (such as Teradata Data Mover) for copying multiple tables at a time. As you mention, if you want to generate the DDL for all the tables in a Schema, you could use the 'Generate DDL' menu option.
Teradata Employee

Roopalini, A Null Pointer Exception should not happen. Can you send me more information about what you were doing so we can recreate the problem here and fix it.
Enthusiast

I'm getting the null pointer exception also. I also noticed what looks like a bug in the Generate DDL and Copy Object functionality. I have a macro that references a column called "ASSM_DED_AMT", and when the DDL gets generated (either via right-clicking and selecting "Generate DDL" or via the Copy Object windows), it splits that column into an "AS" statement: "AS SM_DED_AMT", which of course messes up the DDL. This does not happen from Teradata Administrator...
Teradata Employee

We have fixed the problem in Generate DDL in our upcoming (targeted for January) 14.02 release.

Do you have more details on the Null Pointer Exception?
Enthusiast

Francine - When I try to click on a table , to see the structure at the bottom, I sometimes get the error - "Runtime exception encountered while trying to display an object in the Teradata View"

See error log for more details

Reason : DTS0129 badly behaved view handler

Java.lang.NullPointer.Exception

This is exactly what I do.

When opening Teradata Studio, I navigate to:
•My database
•The schemas folder
•The schema I wish to explore
•Tables folder within the schema - Sometimes the null pointer exceptions start happening here as noted in the first screenshot below.
•A table within this folder
o A Null pointer exception is presented.
o The Teradata view at the bottom of the studio does not change. In cases where I successfully selected a table without an error, I get the table. Then the next table selection presents the error and this view still shows the original table as opposed to the one I’ve just selected

I am unable to figure the error log too , just to check , if the error log gives more details
Teradata Employee

The error log is located in your workspace directory, in /.workspace/Teradata/teradata.log. If you can send the stack from the Null Pointer. thanks.
Teradata Employee

@Roopalini, thank you for posting the stack trace information. Can you also post the rest of exception trace after the JDBCException at the bottom? I think there is more information that can help determine what the problem is.
Teradata Employee

@Roopalini, Thanks for the additional information. It looks like problem is occurring because you don't have SELECT permission to the DBC.Columns view. When displaying the table information in the Teradata View, we access the data dictionary information from the DBC views. We will look into resolving the NPE, but to display the table information you will need to be granted select permission on the DBC views.
Enthusiast

Hi Francine,

Our Teradata box is multitenant and hence we actually have XVIEWS enabled, so that one customer isn't able to view another csutomer's tables / views ect. After enabling XVIEWs, we are able to expand the tree, browse the schema , however sporadically we get the NPE error. Is it because, we enabled the XViews?

Thanks
Roopalini