Teradata Studio

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata Studio

Any word on when Studio Analyst Pack will be released?

Also, is there a way to view GRANT/REVOKE statements prior to executing them? Within Administrator, you can set it so that it always shows you the SQL in a separate window before execution. It looks like that's an option within Teradata Studio for things like granting logon rights (there's a 'SQL Preview' tab), but not for granting ID and role permissions... I don't always want to execute these types of grants from the tool, but would be interested in having this tool generate the statement for me so that I can put it in a script.
Teradata Employee

We have not seen a committed date for Studio Analyst Pack at this time. We hope to hear more soon.

We are looking in to providing a SQL Preview option for the Privileges dialog.
Enthusiast

I had three questions about Teradata Studio:

1. Is there a way to configure the query result set viewer to only display 1 result set?
  2. How can I hide 'Teradata SQL History'? Whenever I close it, it re-opens when I execute a query.
  3. How do I abort a running query? E.G. With Quest Toad, the 'Esc' key aborts a query. With SQL Server Management Studio, 'Alt' + 'Pause' aborts a query.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Bunch

Teradata Employee

Dave, Response to your questions:

1. Not currently. The result set viewer displays all result sets. Could you elaborate on what you are looking for it to do?

2. If you close the Teradata SQL History view, it will not re-open unless there is an error in the execution of the SQL statement. You can also move the SQL History view to a different location within Studio or drag it outside of the Studio window.

3. To abort a running query, you can click the Cancel button in the SQL Statement popup window. Or you can open the Progress View and cancel it there. To open the Progress View, go to the top Window menu>Show View>Other...>Progress. Click OK.  You should see the SQL execution and click the red square button to cancel.

Fan

I'm new to Teradata, and was first introduced to SQL Assistant which was a big change from SQL Server Management Studio, Oracle SQL Developer, and TOAD.  Recently I'm one of two people in my department who is looking at Teradata Studio, and I must say I like it much better than SQL Assistant as far as result sets and so forth (love the tabs!).  I can get used to Alt-X to run queries (what's up with no F5 for that?) However, there is one nagging question I haven't been able to figure out:

I'll run a quick query that I need to dump the results to Excel.  While I can use the export function to achieve my goal, it takes several steps.  I can select cells to copy and paste in Excel, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get column headers.  All I get is the values in the cells, and I then have to hand type in the column headers.  Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed?

Teradata Employee

Currently there is not an option. We will look into getting this as an result set export option for out next release. Thanks

When will Teradata Studio software packages be available via the Teradata At Your Service Client Downloads service?  Our company's information protection organization does not consider the Teradata Developers Exchange to be a trusted site from which to download software.

Teradata Employee

@TomMcGrath, This is something we are looking into.

Enthusiast

I would appreciate having the hierarchical structure that's the default view as in Teradata Administrator.

I don't quite understand the logic of not including this feature; a negative in my view and will slow down the adoption process. All said, I like the product, would be better with that feature.

Teradata Employee

@SnakeDr, The product inherits a SQL model that did not support the hierarchy. We have fixed this problem in our 14.10 release that is planned for Q3.