Unity Datamover standalone to update standby database

Tools

Unity Datamover standalone to update standby database

Standby Teradata Database,

I was recently commissioned by a client in Australia to do the high level design for their DR standby database.  The main requirement was to use Datamover in standalone mode.  

I found out later that the method we came up with to do this job was very similar to another job that had been done in the US.

What we found was that Teradata DB lacks a timestamp field that could have been used to help update the standby database by updating only changed data.

Has anybody else run into a similar problem and what are the plans on putting a feature in the db to allow this.

3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Unity Datamover standalone to update standby database

What do you mean lacks a timestamp field ?

Do you mean the tables in the databases you are moving don't have a timestamp field defined on them to indicate inserts, updates and how would you use this to capture deletes?

For our DR I've found in some cases where tables are large but not partitioned, moving the Work tables that are used to merge into the Base tables and then performing the merge against DR was efficient.

Rglass

Enthusiast

Is there a way you can identify the changed data? is there anything like a flag which says that some the recent records are updated. You can use that flag in the parameter "sql_where_clause" to load only the incremental or updated data.

Enthusiast

Only if there is a flag on your table, DM will use this plus the "Key" fileds to merge the changed records. If you're not so lucky you may end up moving the entire table , worktables to update the table(mentioned above) or just new partitions if you have a partioned table by date.

If you come up with a different solution, I'd be interested in it.

Rglass