Why USEXVIEWS=ON parameter has no effect on Teradata Studio ?

Tools
Enthusiast

Why USEXVIEWS=ON parameter has no effect on Teradata Studio ?

We cannot replace Teradata SQL Assistant and Teradata Administrator by Teradata Studio because the USEXVIEWS parameter has no effect on Teradata Studio.

When I configure USEXVIEWS=ON in the JDBC Connections properties, Teradata Studio continues to display all databases even databases on which my user is

not granted. It's a serious problem for us and I cannot deploy Teradata Studio to developpers for this reason.

I can explain why Teradata Studio display all databases insteed of a list of limited databases.

It's because the X views are not used by Teradata Studio.

I can see that in dbqlogtbl log : when my user log in TD with Teradata Studio 15.10. The 2 first Sql submitted by Teradata Studio are on DBC.DATABASESV  and DBC.TableSizeV objects.

When USEXVIEWS=ON, Teradata Studio is supposed to access dbc.databasesvX and dbc.tablesvX but it's not the case here. Why ?

When my user is loggin to TD with Teradata SQL Assistant or with Winddi, the 2 first sql submitted by theses tools are : dbc.DatabasesVX and dbc.tablesvX.

So my 2 questions are  :

why Teradata Studio ignore the USEXVIEWS=ON parameter ?

What's is the workarround ?

Thanks to share your exepriences on this question.

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Why USEXVIEWS=ON parameter has no effect on Teradata Studio ?

USEXVIEWS is a Teradata JDBC Driver connection parameter, rather than a Teradata Studio setting. When you specify the USEXVIEWS=ON connection parameter, the Teradata JDBC Driver's DatabaseMetaData methods will query the X-views instead of the regular views.

Teradata Employee

Vincent, As mentioned above, the USEXVIEWS JDBC option is for the JDBC Driver. To specify the XViews for Studio or Studio Express, go to the Teradata Datatools Preferences preference page to specify the XViews for loading the lists of database objects.

Enthusiast

Thanks you to both of you for your help.

It's great.

I can configure it in Teradata Datatools Preferences. There is a <select All VX Views> option to select.

One last question if any idea : The Vx Views is not the default option when we install Teradaat Studio, how I can make it as a default option ?

I'm wondering where information in the Teradata Datatools Preferences page is saved ...