Zip/GZip Support in TTU 14?

Tools

Zip/GZip Support in TTU 14?

Hello everyone,

I am currently operating in TTU 13.10 and have been reading about TTU 14, pending an upgrade that I found out we are due to receive; I noted that in the TPT Reference Manual for Version 14, dated June 2012, it states that the DataConnector operator now supports GZip and Zip files.  I want to check an implicit assumption that I am making for this statement  .... does this imply that the DataConnector will read the entire zipped archive, i.e. and zip file that contains multiple files within it.  Or is it assumed that each zip file will only contain 1 file in it? 

I would love to test it out, but I do not have TTU 14 yet and the answer to this question alters my workload for the near future.  

Many thanks in advance.  

7 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Zip/GZip Support in TTU 14?

TPT only supports a single file that has been ZIP-ed.

-- SteveF
N/A

Will TDCH leverage this new feature? If HDFS has zipped files will it unzip them before loading or keep them zipped ?

TDCH can read from compressed HDFS files such as part-*.gz and part-*.deflate directly. "internal.fastlaod" is only subject to the session limit of workload management.

Teradata Employee

TPT's implementation with TDCH will most likely not support .gz files.

The TPT implementation of the HDFS API will support .gz files.

-- SteveF

Is there any away we can use *.deflate file (HDFS compressed file) to load into teradata table using TPT?

Teradata Employee

If TDCH (Teradata Connector For Hadoop) supports that compressed file format, then TPT can be used (TPT integrates with TDCH).

-- SteveF

As per my knowledge TDCH can read from compressed HDFS files such as part-*.gz and part-*.deflate directly. "internal.fastlaod" is only subject to the session limit of workload management.

Altough i don't have much experince with this, but as per my use i can share this only.