tdload having issues loading data where the delimiter is part of a field

Tools

tdload having issues loading data where the delimiter is part of a field

Hi,

I am trying to load a file with sample content like below, where the delimiter is comma(,) and have one of the field which actually contains a comma. The Source team has sent the data set by including such fields in quotes (""). I tried loading using tdload of version 13, but it failed.

Ex: 

ABC,New york,20-02-2013,"hello,world"

I will try to share the error message soon.

Thanks,

Manjeeth

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: tdload having issues loading data where the delimiter is part of a field

TPT does not support embedded delimiters in release 13.

-- SteveF

Is it supported in TTU 14? I am planning to upgrade to v14.

Teradata Employee

Support for quoted fields (and thus, embedded delimiters) did go into TPT in 14.0.

However, TPT14.10 is probably a better release (performance improvements) if you can use that one.

We still do not support embedded end-of-record markers, though.

Also, please read the documentation. For quoted data, we support "off" (no fields are quoted, meaning quotes will be part of the data), "on" (every field must be quoted), and "optional" (some fields can be quoted while others do not have to).

Be careful with "optional". A misplaced (or missing) quote can wreak havoc on the parsing of the data (we will be doing what you told us too).   :)

-- SteveF

Does TPT14.10 support handling embedded CR\LF in a text file?

Example a street address like this where a record spans two lines in a file:

“Cartersville-Bartow Co. HFH

PO Box 3392”

I am trying to use just tdload, which will not require any scripting. Can v14 tdload handle data where delimiter used is part of a field. If TPT 14 is the only option, I will have to start working on a script. 

tdload will inturn generate a TPT script I believe, can't we provide some options for tdload to consider quoted data.

Teradata Employee

thomspsonhab: TPT does not yet support embedded cr/lf.

manharrishi: tdload (aka EasyLoader) does not yet support quoted data (but we should have so I will make sure we get this efixed).

-- SteveF