tlogview Example for MVS

Tools

tlogview Example for MVS

I am trying to run Tlogview in an MVS job in similar terms as given in TPT Reference guide.

My TPT is running fine, but nothing seems to happen when TLOGVIEW step runs.

Can someone please post an example of how to run it in MVS ?
10 REPLIES

Re: tlogview Example for MVS

How to load data into Teradata tables from MVS .
Teradata Employee

Here is some tlogview info for MVS. Hope it helps.

//*
// SET TESTID='SAN@02'
// SET SCRIPT=&TESTID
// SET STUB=SB18607.&TESTID
//*
//JOBLIB DD DISP=SHR,
//* DSNAME=SB18607.R1310IP9.LOAD
//* DD DISP=SHR,
// DSNAME=STV.TI70APP.TWB.LOAD

//TLOGVIEW EXEC PGM=TLOGVIEW,REGION=0M,
// PARM=''
//JOBLOG DD DISP=SHR,DSN=&STUB..JOBLOGV
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//* DSNAME=SV18526.SCRIPTS.LOGS(&TBRTST.PL)
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUDUMP DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTERM DD SYSOUT=*
//*
//DCLOG EXEC PGM=TLOGVIEW,REGION=0M,
// PARM='-f DCLOG-1'
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//* DSNAME=SV18526.SCRIPTS.LOGS(&TBRTST.P1)
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUDUMP DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTERM DD SYSOUT=*
//*
//DGLOG EXEC PGM=TLOGVIEW,REGION=0M,
// PARM='-f DGLOG-1'
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//* DSNAME=SV18526.SCRIPTS.LOGS(&TBRTST.P1)
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUDUMP DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTERM DD SYSOUT=*
//*
//

-- SteveF

Thanks Feinholz !!

I ran the code given by you, and it worked fine.

A small pointer to people referring in future, please dont have a private log for various operators, the above code couldnt fetch it.

A small doubt though ,
In the statements :

PARM='-f DCLOG-1'
PARM='-f DGLOG-1'

what does DCLOG and DGLOG specify ?
I mean how does it point to the required log file.

Really appreciate your help

Regards
AvB

If you have specified the value of the Dataconnector operator attribute PrivateLogName as "DCLOG" in your TPT script, the log has to be retrived as "DCLOG-1" through the tlogview JCL block. If you have specified the value of the DC operator attribute as DGLOG, then you have to specify "PARM = -f DGLOG-1" to retrieve it. I am not sure why Data connector operator alone adds "-1" as suffix for generating a privatelog even if there is only one instance of data connector operator specified in the script.

Regarding your statement "please dont have a private log for various operators, the above code couldnt fetch it. ", the above JCL is only an example of how to use "TLOGVIEW". Whatever you have specified in your script as the value for the PrivateLogName, for specific operators, you have to retrieve it using TLOGVIEW by specifying the name of the privatelog as "PARM=' -f ' " in your TLOGVIEW block of JCL.

If it would make it simpler for you, instead of using PARM = '-f ' , use PARM = '-f "*" -g ' . That would retrieve all the logs you have mentioned in the script.

DCLOG is not Privatelogname in my dataconnector attribute.

Also i had already tried the solution you have mentioned (similar to unix) but didnt seem to work.
The above script(JCL) with the i/p file as the log file created by my TPT loading job printed the log on my console.

That was reason i was wondering if Feinholz can explain the parameters in the JCL

In Feinholz's JCL, the sysprint is pointing towards sysout.

//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*

Modify this to have it print to a valid existing data set.

Sorry, seems i wasnt able to convey my question properly.
Printing on my console is not an issue.
I just wanted to understand the parameters passed in PARM, i.e. PARM='-f DGLOG-1'.
DGLOG is not a log file mentioned in my load job. Its used both as a label and i/p parameter by Feinholz in his JCL.
So i am a bit confused as to what are the actual parameters wanted in PARM ?

Oh, the parameters in PARM are same as the parameters passed in tlogview for unix. -f means the PrivateLogNames you specified in your TPT script. You can provide "-f " or "-f '*' -g". The only exception while giving the "-f " is that when you are trying to retreive the Dataconnector log, you have to add -1 to the PrivateLogName you have mentioned in your script. Like "-f DCLOG-1" if you have mentioned DCLOG as the privatelogname for DC operator in your TPT script.

When you are submitting -f *, then it is better if you issue -g because it will sort out the contents of privatelogs. If you are not specifying -g and specify only -f * you will see that all the messages in the privatelogs are cluttered and not sorted.

In one of your previous messages you told that you have tried -f * option before and it is not working. May be there is come syntax error in your tlogview parameter specification.

Use it like this:

//TLOGVIEW EXEC PGM=TLOGVIEW,REGION=0M, M
// PARM='-f "*" -g '

Teradata Employee

The JCL I provided was an example in case you DID provide names for private log names for the operators. It is better to supply them so that the output from each operator can be "categorized" into their own virtual log. It makes it easier to view operator output because messages from all operators are sent to the log asynchronously. It is a way of filtering the messages.
-- SteveF