unable to varchar(max) / nvarchar(max) data from sql server to Teradata using TPT

Tools
Enthusiast

unable to varchar(max) / nvarchar(max) data from sql server to Teradata using TPT

Hi All,

I am loading varchar(max) / nvarchar(max) data from sql server to Teradata using TPT and data direct drivers. The trimmed length of varchar(max) column is 5356651. I am unable to load this data as data dorect drivers replaces varchar(-1) instead of varchar(max).

Any idea how I can load this data into teradata?

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: unable to varchar(max) / nvarchar(max) data from sql server to Teradata using TPT

In TPT (and Teradata) the max size of a VARCHAR column is 64000 bytes.

If you have a column holding character data that exceeds 64000 bytes, it seems as though yuo are referring to a CLOB.

The TPT ODBC operator does not currently support LOBs and cannot export LOBs from SQLServer.

Essentially, the ODBC operator cannot export any columns that exceed 64000 bytes from SQLServer.

-- SteveF
Enthusiast

Re: unable to varchar(max) / nvarchar(max) data from sql server to Teradata using TPT

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the response. Is there any other way I can load column from sql server to teradata that exceeds 64000 bytes?

Teradata Employee

Right now, the only way is to export the LOB-sized data from SQLServer via some other tool, write the data out to a file, and then load from that file into Teradata with TPT.

-- SteveF