usage of check point in fastload

Tools

usage of check point in fastload

Hi,
Checkpoints is used to resume the paused job, at a point where it was paused, because of the error caused by the client or by the RDBMS. Am i right with the definition.
Assume checkpoints are placed for every 50,000 records. If my job stopped at 60,000 record. When i resume the job, will it be loaded from 60,0001 or from 50,001. If it loads from 50,001, then 10,000 record loaded already will create duplicate error right. What should be done for loading from the 60,001..

Thanks in advance,
Sathish.S
13 REPLIES
N/A

Re: usage of check point in fastload

If Teradata restarts during a FastLoad it just waits for the DBMS to recover and then finishes the load, without resending data.

If the FastLoad job has to be restartet (e.g. FastLoad crashes or the target database is full) then it will start sending data from the last checkpoint, in your example from record 50,001.

You don't have to worry about duplicate rows, because FastLoad can't load it (even if the target table is MultiSet), it simply discards them.
Only violations of the Unique PI will be inserted into the UV Error Table.

After End Loading Phase there's info about Records read/applied/errors plus Total Duplicate Rows

Dieter

Hi Dieter

Checkpoints is used to resume the paused job, at a point where it was paused, because of the error caused by the client or by the RDBMS. Am i right with the definition.

Assume checkpoints are placed for every 50,000 records. If my job stopped at 60,000 record. When i resume the job, will it be loaded from 60,001or from 50,001. If it loads from50,001, then 1000  record loaded already will create duplicate error right. What should be done for loading from the 60,001 in mutiload,if a table is multiset

can you please explain  the above  concept in mutiload,if a table is multiset

multset:actually mutlset will allow duplicates right

At each check point there will be an entry made in SYSADMIN.FASTLOG table.In your case the fast load will resume loading from the first row following the last successful check point(50,000) i.e. 50,001.This is during data aquisition phase.If it is interrupted in the application phase just resubmit the fast load script with only BEGIN and END loading statements.

You can also perform a manual restart using RECORD command say (RECORD 60,001) assuming the last check point as 60,000 from SYSADMIN.FASTLOG table.This will skip first 60,000 records and start from 60,001.

Stalin

Hi

stalin thank for u r answer

fast load wont load duplicates right, either it is a set tabel or multi set table

this is not the case,i want know  multiload with multiset table what will happen

Teradata Employee

The DBS will always eliminate the duplicate rows from SET and MULTISET tables for FastLoad jobs. In other words, on a FastLoad job, you can send duplicate rows to the Teradata database, but the database will discard them.

The Teradata database will not discard duplicate rows being sent from MultiLoad jobs when MultiLoad is loading a MULTISET table.

These are DBS rules, not client utility rules.

-- SteveF

FastLoad will not load duplicate data in both SET and Multi-Set Table is perfectly understandable..

But what would happen if the Target Table is a NOPI table?

does the rule is still applicable?

if so how is it implemented?

Teradata Employee

FastLoad can load duplicate rows into NoPI tables.

Normally, the DBS throws away duplicates during the sort (in the Application Phase).

NoPI tables are always MULTISET tables, but since there is no sort on NoPI tables, duplicate rows are not discarded by the DBS.

-- SteveF

Hi,

While loading a empty table using Fload, in Acquisition Phase (Phase 1) getting database full error, later i added some more space to the database. Now what can be done complete the load process? whether resubmitting the script is enough or something has to be specified in Begin Loading command? 

Please advise.

Teradata Employee

Hello,

It is correct, resubmit the job is just enough. Make sure that the Error tables and the target tables are untouched (i.e. no drop Error Tables, or recreate the taget table).

Thomas