Teradata Basics Queries

Training
Enthusiast

Teradata Basics Queries

Hi All,

Greetings! I was just going through few quizzes in teradata basics. Few answers seems to be confusing and would like to know answers for below questions from experts here. Thanks in advance!

1. Which two are common between row processing and set processing? (Choose two.)
A. Both use serial processing.
B. Both use all-AMP operations.
C. Both can consist of one row.
D. Both process with one command.
E. Both efficiently process large volumes of data.

2. What are two reasons data mart implementations may be preferred over centralized data warehouse architectures? (Choose two.)
A. Cross-functional queries are simplified.
B. Data availability is increased for more users.
C. A department insists on owning their own database.
D. Data content among data marts is easier to synchronize.
E. Application ROI justifies a low cost appliance implementation.

3. What is a benefit of automatic versus manually managed storage?
A. It makes the database easier to manage and maintain.
B. It optimizes the data for loading based on the database size.
C. It increases the efficiency of the data and index reorganizations.
D. It initiates unload/reloads based on triggers established for space usage.

4. Which two effects occur as a result of building separate data marts instead of building a
centralized data warehouse? (Choose two.)
A. Database loading is easier to manage.
B. Subject areas are repeated across the data marts.
C. Ad-hoc queries using multiple subject areas offer better performance.
D. Pre-planned queries for a limited number of users can offer better performance.

5. Which Teradata concept allows more than one model generation?
A. Coexistence
B. Time sharing
C. Cohabitation
D. Node sharing
E. Virtual Reconfiguration

6. What is an Active Event?
A. the ability to dynamically manage a mixed workload environment
B. the activity or relevant transaction identified by the application of a business rule
C. the access of information quickly and consistently to support operational business processes
D. the capability to meet business objectives for system up-time in a mission critical environment

7. Which statement is true regarding strategic queries?
A. They usually avoid all-AMP plans.
B. They normally require row hash locks.
C. They typically rely heavily on detail data.
D. They are expected to complete in real-time.

8. Which three benefits are realized in an IT organization as a result of building a centralized data warehouse as opposed to a non-centralized data warehouse? (Choose three.)
A. Data modeling is simpler.
B. Summary data is eliminated.
C. It uses less space for data storage.
D. Data is loaded once and used for multiple purposes.
E. New requirements can be satisfied without reloading data.
F. Less history needs to be maintained in the data warehouse.

Accepted Solutions
Senior Apprentice

Re: Teradata Basics Queries

Hi,
Yeah, these aren't always straight forward, sometimes you have to use a process of elimination (similar to Arthur Conan Doyle's quote "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth" - or in this case the correct answer Smiley Happy ).

Looking at your actual and sample answers:
1. C,D. Not 'D' because 'row at a time processing' will be one command (i.e. statement) per row.
2. Difficult one. I'd have chosen C and E. Not 'A' because data marts are often for a specific functional use. Not 'B' because a specific functional use is (often) for fewer users. Not 'D' because the more data marts you have the more difficult data synchronisation becomes.
3. A. Agreed. Not 'D' because in Teradata you don't re-org data/indexes. The only way that I can think of 'D' being 'valid' is if the question is referring to TVS which will 'move data' (I hesitate to call that an unload/reload though).

4. I'd choose B and D. A is questionable and I don't agree with C.
5. It is 'A'. This is just terminology which you'll need to know to pass the exam.
6. I'd choose 'B'. None of the others sound right to me.
7. C. Answer 'D' refers to 'real time'. What is your definition of 'real time'? Are you thinking of sub-second response time? That typically won't happen with the larger queries (usually thought of as strategic queries) that run on a Teradata system.
8. I'd certainly choose C and D. 'A' is probably true because if you only have one data warehouse platform then arguably physical data modelling is simpler because you only have one physical model. 'E' is possible but I think unlikely.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Hi,

I think that's a bit of a general question.

Could you be more specific about the answers that are confusing you?

Cheers,

Dave

Enthusiast

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick reply!

I thought the answers for above qns as below:

1. C,D

2. B,E

3. A

4. B,C

5. D

6. D

7. Both C and D seems to be correct

8. A,D,E

I could see answers in various websites as below:

1. B,C

2. C,D

3. D

4. A,D

5. A/B

6. C

7. C

8. C,D,E

Right answers for all these questions will be more helpful!

Senior Apprentice

Hi,
Yeah, these aren't always straight forward, sometimes you have to use a process of elimination (similar to Arthur Conan Doyle's quote "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth" - or in this case the correct answer Smiley Happy ).

Looking at your actual and sample answers:
1. C,D. Not 'D' because 'row at a time processing' will be one command (i.e. statement) per row.
2. Difficult one. I'd have chosen C and E. Not 'A' because data marts are often for a specific functional use. Not 'B' because a specific functional use is (often) for fewer users. Not 'D' because the more data marts you have the more difficult data synchronisation becomes.
3. A. Agreed. Not 'D' because in Teradata you don't re-org data/indexes. The only way that I can think of 'D' being 'valid' is if the question is referring to TVS which will 'move data' (I hesitate to call that an unload/reload though).

4. I'd choose B and D. A is questionable and I don't agree with C.
5. It is 'A'. This is just terminology which you'll need to know to pass the exam.
6. I'd choose 'B'. None of the others sound right to me.
7. C. Answer 'D' refers to 'real time'. What is your definition of 'real time'? Are you thinking of sub-second response time? That typically won't happen with the larger queries (usually thought of as strategic queries) that run on a Teradata system.
8. I'd certainly choose C and D. 'A' is probably true because if you only have one data warehouse platform then arguably physical data modelling is simpler because you only have one physical model. 'E' is possible but I think unlikely.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Thanks in ton Dave!

Got clear understanding of few concepts though!