What qualities should a TD-DBA possess?

Training
Teradata Employee

What qualities should a TD-DBA possess?

Could anyone please enlist and explain what all qualities should one possess, in order to prove to be an excellent Teradata DBA?
4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: What qualities should a TD-DBA possess?

hey and can anyone assist me whats this TD-DBA IS?
Enthusiast

Sharp, detail oriented and Good knowledge of Teradata DBA. Should have good communication abilities.
Fan

A Teradata DBA should have the following skills:

(a) Sound understanding of Teradata Architecture.

(b) Efficient grasp on Teradata SQL & Advanced SQL.

(c) System Monitoring Knowledge.

(d) Data Modelling Skills.

(e) Script Development/Automation Skills.

(f) Query Optimization knowledge and experience.

(g) Understanding of Optimizer's oriented concepts like Skewness, Spool Usage etc. (Query Explain Plan Understandability).

Besides these above skills, a Teradata DBA should have eloquent communication skills as mostly DBAs need to explain Technical concepts to non-Technical guys like Manager, ETL associates etc. 

I happen to attend a training by one of the teradata professional named Manohar in Nov'12, he takes online batches every month. I would say it was a very good decision on my part to join that training, not only I learnt alot, but also I perform very well at interviews and my job.

He teaches Developer and Admin tracks both, I happen to the developer track only. He also teaches case studies which bascially prepares you for real time applications. I would recommend anyone to join his classes, worth spending time and money !!

This is his email address, you can directly contact him:

sunmanu9@gmail.com