Difference and concepts of ETL.

UDA
Enthusiast

Re: Difference and concepts of ETL.

FastExport is the Utility to perform the Extraction Process and this may extract data from any system and creates the flatfiles may be temporary and MLOAD is the Utility to perform the Loading of the FastExported data files.

Hi

Thanks to every one giving valuable answers, Now I get some idea about TD.

what is ETL teradata

Enthusiast

Hi... 8 years later, I'm having the same question:

I'm an old mssql user, and now must work with teradata.

What is Teradata equivalento to SSIS?

Greetings,

Teradata Employee

Teradata has chosen to partner with data integration tools in the marketplace rather than build one of our own.

Teradata provides load and export utilities to efficiently utilize the parallel capabilities of the Teradata system for loading and exporting data. These are all encapulated within the TPT utility which is documented in the Teradata documentation. TPT is a script driven or API driven toolset that will load empty table, perform edits on existing tables and export data. It does not have scheduling, transformation, metadata management,... that would be functions of an ETL tool. If it is just desired to load data into Teradata then using TPT directly is fine.

Many people wish to have the full suite of capabilities that an ETL tool brings. Teradata partners with the leading tools in the marketplace to allow a choice of tools to be used as desired by the user. In no particular order: Informatica, Data Stage, AbInitio, SSIS, Talend, Golden Gate, Attunity, WhereScape (and I probably have left some off) are all certified and actively integrate with Teradata. In most cases, these tools integrate with the API version of TPT to do the actual loading into the Teradata database but that is done under the covers - the user uses the interfaces and capabilities of the tool with the target system set to Teradata.

Note that for an SSIS user and especially in an environment with a lot of SQL Server databases from which to move data to Teradata, SSIS can be an effective tool.