Loading Unicode data from Oracle to teradata

UDA
Enthusiast

Loading Unicode data from Oracle to teradata

Hi Frndz,

I am trying to load unicode ( Arabic) data from oracle into teradata using Informatica.Instead of the arabic characters i am getting junk characters in the target database.I suppose there is some issue with codepage.

There is a table(Ch****ts) under teradata DBC with entries in the same as WIN1256_6A0 , ARABIC1256_0R.In my Oracle database wht shld be the apt codepage that i should use.Is there some other way to identify the codepage set for teradata , something like this (SELECT * FROM V$NLS_PARAMETERS) which we use for oracle?

Advice one the above issues would have been helpful.

Thanks in Advance

6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Loading Unicode data from Oracle to teradata

hai guys

Any update on this

Sreekanth
Enthusiast

I will throw in my 2 cents, which may not be much on this ...

How did you take a "look" at the data in TD ?

In the past I have seen folks complaining about seeing junk, when in reality their PC didn't had the right scripts installed to see it.

Can you check that in your control panel / regional language settings
on the language tab, the check boxes under the supplemental language is checked ?

Also can you copy paste an Arabic character from the windows Charmap utility into a word document and still see it (no-junk) ?
Can you do a fast export of the data and try opening it in MS-Office Word ? (use the same font as in charmap)

Your problem could be something else, but in case if it helps ...
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thnx for the update.

When i did set the font as @Arial Unicode MS i could view the data.

Thanks & Regards
Sreekanth
Enthusiast

Hi,

I am facing a similar issue while processing arabic text. In fact I have to process text files containing arabic text. The default file encoding is ASCII, I convert it into UTF8, that is fine. The data is loaded, but I can see only garbage. If anyone hav faced this issue, please guie!

Khurram

Khurram
Enthusiast

If I remember correctly, there are ODBC properties and change the encoding/character set and you can view the resultset in SQL Assistant. Its only the display problem becasue the SQLA is not able to show it properly, the data loaded should be fine.

I will try to see what exactly was changed to see the arabic data, and will let you know if I am able to find it :)

Teradata Employee

You can verify your loaded data using CLI based connectivity i.e. BTEQ.

Also, about the setting that Qaisar has mentioned .... you need to go to ODBC -> Edit TD connection -> Change 'Session Character Set' from ASCII to UTF8.