Regarding Data Extraction.......

UDA
Enthusiast

Regarding Data Extraction.......

Hi All,

i want to know how can i extract data from teradata into CSV files. i want know any of such tool available in market?

Thanks & Regards,
Dinesh
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Regarding Data Extraction.......

Besides some Teradata PS offer solutions, the market offers a plethora of ETL tools to do the job.
Look for Oracle Data Integrator (former Sunopsis), Informatica, IBM WebSphere DataStage (former Ascential Datastage) to name a few.
Enthusiast

There are some Teradata utilities for exporting data such as BTEQ or Fast Export.

In addition to expensive ETL tools like DataStage and Informatica you can also go with free or cheap open source ETL tools that can pull data from a Teradata ODBC or JDBC connection write it to whatever flat file format you need. You can at a pinch pull data into Excel via an ODBC link and save it as CSV. The trick is convincing the administrators of the database that you need a connection to pull data off since they don't like unauthorised extracts.

Here are some open source ETL tools, they wont be as fast or easy to use as a premium ETL tool but for a small number of extracts they offer good value:
Ketl
CloverETL
Enhydra Octupus
Talend
Pentatho Data Integration (Kettle)
Enthusiast

Thanks for such a valuable reply
Enthusiast

Hi,

I would suggest you look at Kettle and Talend. I tend to enjoy both programs, even though I like a lot Talend. With Talend you can extract data from teradata into CSV files but you can also import data into mysql, do data integration, migration or even deduplication. Go on the Talend wesite and try Talend Open Studio. http://www.talend.com/
Fan

Very fast (and OpenSource) tool for extracting data from any DB is CloverETL (http://www.cloveretl.com/). It also has several bulk loaders for Oracle,DB2 and other databases which use native (command line) bulk loaders. It could be easily adapted to work with FastLoad & Fast Export as it allows reading/writing data through STDIN/STDOUT.