TDM vs Other Load Utilities

UDA
Enthusiast

TDM vs Other Load Utilities

Hi ,

We have a project where we FastExport data from one Teradata Server and Mload/Fastload it to another Teradata Server.However I recently found out we also have TDM available in our project.

I was wondering whether it is worth to change existing Fexp/FastLoad scripts to TDM or would the performance be nearly same in both the case.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: TDM vs Other Load Utilities

Teradata Data Mover (TDM) performance should be better than Fexp/FastLoad scripts when copying large tables between Teradata systems.  TDM can use multiple streams (i.e. processes) to copy a table, while Fexp/FastLoad scripts can only use one stream.  The extra parallelism that multiple streams provides will only improve performance when copying large tables though.  The reason for this is because breaking up the work to copy small tables with multiple streams will just result in more overhead instead of faster performance.  If you are only copying small amounts of data (i.e. MB instead of GB) then the performance of TDM should be similar to Fexp/FastLoad scripts.  TDM does have the capability to use ARC (in addition to TPTAPI and JDBC) under the covers to copy data though.  ARC can't be used in all cases to copy data, but when it can be used it typically copies copy data faster than Fexp/FastLoad scripts.

It's important to note that performance shouldn't be the only factor in choosing between TDM and generating your own Fexp/Fastload scripts.  TDM will automatically generate scripts for you to copy the data and it will maintain a detailed history of jobs that can be used to debug performance or functional problems.  If you generate Fexp/Fastload scripts by yourself then you need to live with the limitations of those protocols and you need to generate/maintain everything on your own.

Enthusiast

Thanks jgordon.

Enthusiast

Hi,

How can i dowload  TDM ?? This aplication is into software Teradata Client or teradata adminitrator???

I need copy schemas´s user with a lot of objetc from a machine with teradata to otrer machine and i don´t know as can do it

Regards

Enthusiast

I don't think you can use TDM as stand alone utility like other TTU, I guess, it comes as a part managed server. Better is to check with your Teradata account manager