TeraData vs Oracle

UDA
Fan

TeraData vs Oracle

hi

Recently one of our client wants to make a selection between teradata and oracle 10g. I our evaluation tells me that oracle 10g is far better than Teradata. But it may be because there are so many persons working on oracle so will anybody here guide me
44 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: TeraData vs Oracle

Oracle would survive only if your client was looking for purely OLTP based systems. If it's for a DW platform, the obvious choice is an MPP based RDBMS system, of which Teradata is THE leader.

I am not sure what kind of "Evaluation" was performed... load times ? complex queries ? User concurrence ? ... was scalability accounted for ?

Was there a bench marking done on both the systems ? (This is something normally the sales teams could be asked to do)
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My client just moved from Oracle to Teradata.
The performance is just amazing for Huge data. Teradata is excellent to handle HUGE data. You will defenitely find it difficult to get used to Teradata if you are used to Oracle.

Well, as someone has already updated, it depends on the requirements.
Enthusiast

Both the database has there advantages & disadvantages.
There are a lot of factors to be taken into consideration before deciding which database is better.
If you are talking about OLTP systems then Oracle is far better than Teradata.
Oracle is more flexible in terms of programming like u can write Packages,procedures,functions .
Teradata is useful if you want to generate reports on a very huge database.
But the recent versions of Oracle like 10g is quite good & contains a lot of features to support DataWareHouse.

Enthusiast

Teradata is a MPP System which really can process the complex queries very fastly..Another advantage is the uniform distribution of data through the Unique primary indexes with out any overhead. Recently we had an evaluation with experts from both Oracle and Teradata for OLAP system,and they were really impressed with the performance of Teradata over Oracle.
Fan

hi

Oracle support MPP in form of grid computing. uniform distribution of data based on primary key will not be much useful when accessing huge amount of data a full scan is required. so far we found teradata almost equal in performance with oracle 10g. Based on bench mark and after consulting from different people we find following problems in Teradata.

its too expensive. you need long pockets to work with teradata.

it has only one type of index while oracle has many types of indexes especially there bitmap index.

teradata does not have materialize view. oracle has materialize view which decrease the IO band width and makes system more scalable.

Oracle has very wide variety of analytic functions for Sql.

3 types of partitioning and in oracle 11g there are some new addition in partitioning

the ability to use clusters without having to statically partition data

Further..... these are the remarks i found on some of oracle discussion forms

the largest databases in the world run on Oracle

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031114/sff029_1.html
they count

a) all disk on the computer, not just database disk
b) the sum of all databases a customer is using -- not individual databases

But still we saw that best database is the one which you have technical resource to work and especially tune.

nicky,

Your assertions are not quite right :

its too expensive. you need long pockets to work with teradata.
==> this is not a technical issue so I won't answer (though it's wrth considering this point)

it has only one type of index while oracle has many types of indexes especially there bitmap index.
==> TD has several types of indexes (primary index, unique secondary index, non unique secondary index, value ordered index, join index, hash index...)

teradata does not have materialize view. oracle has materialize view which decrease the IO band width and makes system more scalable.
==> TD does have materialized views (view + join index on the view)

Oracle has very wide variety of analytic functions for Sql.
==> TD too and they're all ANSI compliant

3 types of partitioning and in oracle 11g there are some new addition in partitioning
==> horizontal partitionning is possible in TD (since V2R5) and vertical partitionning is part of the design of TD.

the largest databases in the world run on Oracle
==> fair enough but in this case size does not matter... it's the ability to manipulate a large amount of data that maters.
Enthusiast

I wouldn't concede the size argument. Walmart claims to have the largest data warehouse in the world and they run on Teradata.
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1675960,00.asp

I bet there are also big data warehouses at Teradata customers AT&T, Vodaphone, T-Mobile and USPS.

In the WinterCorp Top 10 survey of the largest DSS databases of 2003 Teradata had 4 in the top 10, in the same survey in 2005 they had none and Oracle had 4. It seems like Teradata opted out of the survey as they had several customers who could easily have made the list. Most of these database size lists are unreliable. Not many of them mention the MySQL databases powering YouTube, Flickr and Facebook.
Fan

hi

nice and really productive discussion.

Teradata has only one type of index i.e hash index. join index and its types are just different form of materialize view in oracle and even these indexes are based on hashing here is an extract from teradata documentations

virtually all Teradata indexes are based on (or partially based on) row hash values rather than table column values.

I think hash index can be quiet quick under MPP a plus point of teradata.

teradata join index and its types are like oracle materialized view but in a much much restrict form. I have failed to find any documentation which says JI support rollup as oracle materialized view does so technically they are not equal by anyway.

The partitioning faculity Teradata offer is by no mean equal to oracle.

Teradata is based on providing specialized hardware to counter the huge IO's while oracle is based on how to remove these IO's. which makes oracle hard to configure and tune

Another point which one of my colleague (teradata DBA) told me is that teradata is not very good from administration point of view

thanks