Teradata Metadata Services

UDA
N/A

Teradata Metadata Services

Is any one in this forum using Metadata Services? We are looking to work with it but wanted to get some info on those that are using it and their experience? what they use it for and how they use it. Any info will help.
6 REPLIES

Re: Teradata Metadata Services

Sorry for the delayed response. We are just starting to use MDS and trying to figure out how to load it from ERwin and other sources, and how to access the metadata in a more simple and intuitive way than using the Metadata Browser.
Teradata Employee

ERwin lets you export directly to MDS. ERwin 7 or later has bridges from Meta Integration Technology Inc. (MITI) embedded and provides an export wizard that lets you pick Teradata MDS as the target export.

When you move ERwin model information into MDS you have 2 scenarios. The bridge first looks to see if the physical metadata from ERwin (i.e. tables, columns, views) already exists in MDS:
1) If the answer is yes, the bridge will only export out the logical model ( entities, attributes, etc.) and then associates these to the corresponding warehouse data already loaded in MDS.
2) If the answer is no, the bridge will export both the physical and logical data from the models.

The bridge also allows you to export ERwin modeling information from RDBMS other than Teradata into MDS. So if you have an ERwin model for DB2, SQLServer, etc., you can still export this out into MDS and there will be a field in the Database class that identifies the database type it represents.

I was also looking for a bridge to Microstrategy. I called MITI and they do not sell their products direct anymore. They only sell OEM, and they told me Teradata has not licensed their Microstrategy bridge product yet. Has anyone found a way to do bidirectional transfer to/from MS from MDS? How about Informatica?

Has anyone bought/built tools to enable simpler and more intuitive import/export of metadata to/from MDS from metadata sources that do not have bridges available (such as business rules data stored in spreadsheets, csv's, etc.)?

Specific question:

In Metabrowse, the add relationship dialog has a "Unique Names" checkbox but the description isn't 100% clear what is enforced (see below):

[font=System]"If checked, any classes any classes added to this relationship will have their names checked for unique names within the relationship."[/font]

What exactly does this mean? Does this enforce one to many from the origin class to the destination class and if unchecked, you could have the same destination associated with more than one origin object? Or does it enforce a 1:1 whereby an origin object can only be related to a single destination? Or if unchecked, would it allow the same origin-destination pair to be added more than once (why would one want to allow that)?

General Question:

I have no idea how many MDS users are out there, but is anyone interested in forming a subgroup to share expertise?
Teradata Employee

MDS includes a samples directory which contains samples for building Excel workbooks that load data into MDS. The macros defined for the workbooks include loading descriptions for databases/tables/columns/views, business data (i.e. attributes, entities, subject areas), as well as loading data for custom extensions that are defined. You can view and modify the code in the macros that access MDS so that they load the metadata you want.

The unique name flag for a relationship is simply used to specify that you want MDS to enforce unique names in a destination collection and has nothing to do with cardinality.

Teradata Employee

Has anyone installed td-ttu-13.10.00.00 on a 64 bit Windows machine? The download page says that the install package is available for 32 and 64 bit machine but only the 32 bit version is available when I tried running that setup it just hangs without any messages.

Trying to login to Metasurf as an Administrator.   Is there a default username and password?   Did I miss something in the installation?   

Appreciate a hint...