Tuning Teradata SQL

UDA
Enthusiast

Tuning Teradata SQL

I have a CREATE table statement based on 9 different tables.

It is taking 3 hours in TEST and 10 hours in PROD.

I am trying to tune it for faster creation.

I have checked and see that the stats on all the 9 tables were collected in TEST.

Please let me know where do I go from here.

I am a newbie to Teradata.

Thanks

Rajiv
9 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Tuning Teradata SQL

Hi,
Use join index.

-Sac
Enthusiast

Just a thought.

Will creating an empty table first then fastloading the fastexported data (using a tuned select statement) make the execution duration less?
Sometimes such workarounds make executions faster.

Regards
Senior Apprentice

Hi Rajiv,
without further information (DDL + row counts + query + explain) nobody can provide reliable help.

Is the query running for hours or just the Create Table As?
Maybe skewed table and lots of duplicate row checks due to a Set table?

Dieter
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I have the following JOIN query which is part of a sub-query for the CREATE TABLE statement.

Select cast(PERIOD_END_DT_TM As date format 'yyyy-mm-dd') end_dte
From audit.PROCESS_CONTROL
Where process_name = 'CHURN_MONTHLY_SNAPSHOT') pc2,
vantage.SUBSCRIBER_WORKORDER_XREF x
Inner Join vantage.WOS_SERV_CODE wos
On x.SID_WOC = wos.SID_WO
And wos.serv_ext_aft_wos > 0
Left Outer Join reportuser.ss_programming ssp
On wos.serv_cde_wos = ssp.serv_cde
Where x.ACTIVE_FLAG = 'Y'
And pc2.end_dte Between x.BEGIN_DATE
And x.END_DATE
Group By x.sid_sbb, x.SID_WOC, mon_snap_dte, x.ORIG_NC_WOC_DATE
) sub
Inner Join vantage.WOS_SERV_CODE wos
On sub.SID_WOC = wos.SID_WO
And wos.serv_ext_aft_wos > 0
--Left Outer Join vantage.HOUSE_SUBSCRIBER_XREF hsx
-- On sub.sid_sbb = hsx.sid_sbb
-- And sub.mon_snap_dte Between hsx.BEGIN_DATE
-- And hsx.END_DATE
Left Outer Join
(Select sid_sbb, max (sid_hse) sid_hse
from vantage.HSE_BASE
group by sid_sbb) hsx
On sub.sid_sbb = hsx.sid_sbb
Left Outer Join vantage.HSE_BASE_GEO_ADDR geo
On hsx.SID_HSE = geo.SID_HSE
Left Outer Join vantage.ALA_SERV_CODE ala
On wos.serv_cde_wos = ala.SERV_CDE_ALA
And wos.SYS_WOS = ala.SYS_ALA
And wos.PRIN_WOS = ala.PRIN_ALA
And wos.AGNT_WOS= ala.AGNT_ALA
Left Outer Join stage.san_network_service_codes san
On wos.SERV_CDE_WOS = san.service_code
And san.network_type = 'NETWORK'
Left Outer Join reportuser.ss_programming ssp
On wos.serv_cde_wos = ssp.serv_cde
Group By
sub.sid_sbb, sub.SID_WOC, hsx.sid_hse, sub.mon_snap_dte, sub.ORIG_NC_WOC_DATE, mdu_code, postal_rec_type, sub.basic_pkg_rank
)

Can someone please help me out how to create a JOIN INDEX on this as suggested earlier?

Thanks

Rajiv
Enthusiast

Further info on the SQL from the Explain Plan.

These are the 3 steps where it is taking more than estimated time.

We do an All-AMPs RETRIEVE step from VIRTUALVANTAGE.WOS_SERV_CODE_TAB by way of an all-rows scan into Spool 6147, which is redistributed by hash code to all AMPs. This step is performed in parallel.

We do an All-AMPs JOIN step from Spool 6147 (Last Use) by way of an all-rows scan, which is joined to Spool 6148. Spool 6147 and Spool 6148 are left outer joined using a merge join . The result goes into Spool 6150, which is built locally on the AMPs. This step begins a parallel block of steps.

We do an All-AMPs JOIN step from Spool 6149 (Last Use) by way of an all-rows scan, which is joined to Spool 6150. Spool 6149 and Spool 6150 are right outer joined using a merge join . The result goes into Spool 6152, which is built locally on the AMPs.

The Estimated I/O 1086025000 and Actual I/O 3126072000 on all the 3 steps.

This is where I was thinking the JOIN INDEX might help.

Can someone please suggest me where to go from here or direct me to some sort of URL where I can study to work upon this?

I am a newbie to Teradata.

Thanks

Rajiv
Enthusiast

Can somebody please help me with tuning the Teradata SQL?

I wonder if this is the way this forum is going to respond.

I was fascinated by the capabilities of Teradata over Oracle in Decission Support systems and started learning this.

But, I hardly find any tools or parameters to start the tuning process, apart from collecting stats and Explain Plan.

I would appreciate if someone could help me out with my problem stated in the previous reply.

Thanks

Rajiv
Enthusiast

Hi ,
Please refer Teradata manuals (Data Definition Statements,Data Manipulation Statements, SQL fundamentals,Database Design) and learn about various methods of tunig the SQL in teradata.
If you are a newbie to Teradata, I feel you are trying to achieve some thing which is out of scope of your experience.

I would like to inform you the following about your question:

1) Try to estimate the time taken seperately for executing the Select statement and Creating the table.
If your select is not taking much time ,but creating the table is taking time,analyze the DDL and choose the proper primary index for even distribution.

2) Another method is to create the table first and loading this table in the following way;
Divide your process into smaller steps. Create global Temporary tables and load the data into these tables
with smaller queries and finally load into your main table joining these temporary table.

Please note that it is very important to collect statistics on the primary indices of the tables involved and the columns getting joined in the queries,which helps Teradata Optimizer to design the best execution plans.You can collect stats on global temporary tables also.

Regards,
Aravind Hegde
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Aravind.

I know I am trying something out of my scope as a newbie. But this is the only work my manager has me to do as of now. (I am an Oracle guy)

Well, we are capable of doing the stuff. Right?

We are the best examples of adaptability.

Thanks again.

I will try to build upon the foundation laid by you.

---Rajiv
Fan

Buddy,

Do not get frustrated. Let me understand your problem correctly. Are you saying you have a create table stmt like below ?

CREATE TABLE As Select col,col,col from tbl1 join tbl2 on .....

If the above is true, the most likely reason why your table creation takes so long could be the PRIMARY INDEX..

The first column of the SELECT statement will be the primary index of the table if you haven't specified one explicitly. If you collected stats on the tables even to a reasonable extent, I don't see any reason why it must take 10 minutes, let alone hours.

Specify a primary index based on columns that are over 90 % unique and your table will get created in 10 minutes. You'll thankme for a long time to come :-)

Regards,
Vijay