fastload

UDA
Enthusiast

fastload

Where are fastload worktables stored?
does it take perm space?
can we actually see those tables in list of objects being created?
In which DBC table those worktables are stored?
9 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: fastload

Fastload doesn't have worktables.

Enthusiast

hello,

Fastload do have worktables.
Initially all the operation is done on worktables such as Phase-1(initial loading ,redistribution of rows based on row hash), phase-2(sorting is done within a worktable ) only after this data is written onto actual physical blocks.

In case of fastload worktables are used internally by the system.
Junior Contributor

FastLoad loads directly into the target table (worktable = targettable), that's why there's almost no overhead regaring permspace.
If you check the tablesize of a FastLoaded table you'll see that peakperm usually is a just bit larger than currentperm.

Dieter
Enthusiast

Hi ,

As per my understanding the fastload has 2 phases begin loading and end loading, now where is the data stored at the

end of the begin loading phase in case of multifile load i have noticed that the table size remains zero unless the end loading

command is executed so where is all the data stored in spool or perm ?

Regards

R.Rajeev

Enthusiast

Fastload works differently than multiload. As noted above, fastload loads direct into the target table. Multiload loads into a work table first and then moves the data into the target table during the apply phase.

Fan

Hi Gurus,

I'm new to Teradata. Please excuse me if I ask some silly questions. Below are my questions:

1. Can I use "CREATE" in Fastload and Multiload? If not, how the error tables getting created?

2. In Multiload--In which phase error tables gets populated?

3. If I want to load 25 records into a table. Which utility is faster --Fastload or Multiload?

4.  If a file contains 100 records and I want to load only 60 records (skipping first 20 and last 20). How can I achieve this using Fastload, Multiload and BTEQ?

Thanks!!

Junior Contributor

#1: Yes, but you don't create the error tables, this is done automatically by the tool.

You just might change their default names.

#2: MLoad: aquisition phase -> ET-table and application phase -> UV-table

#3: BTEQ :-)  

Both MLoad and FastLoad need to create additional tables (error/work/log-tables), but FastLoad should aways be faster.

#4: BTEQ:

.IMPORT ... SKIP 20

.REPEAT 60

FastLoad: 

.RECORD 20 THRU 80

MLoad:

.IMPORT .... FROM 20 THRU 80  (or FROM 20 FOR 60)

Dieter

Fan

Thanks Dieter!!

Enthusiast

Fast load has two phases. 1. Acquisition 2.Application

In acquisition phase data loads into Amps with out sort. In application phase data loaded into target table with proper hasing and all.

So in two phases data is not load into any wrok table or temp table.