to check is a string is numeric or not

UDA

to check is a string is numeric or not

[font=Arial][/font]
Hi,
Is there any UDF to check if a string (in my case its CHAR(9)) is numeric or contains special chars/alphabets?

My requirement is... i need to consider only those records which are numeric and populate NULL for rest of the records. The values in string can be: 127684,9749-id etc.

Can i use is_numeric() for string? The only other option is to check each letter in the string and if they are between 0-9.

Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: to check is a string is numeric or not

Hello,

Till Teradata V2R6, no there is no built-in function for that, but offcourse you can write a UDF which can do that.

Regards,

Adeel
N/A

Use the upper and lower function to achieve your result.
Eg: upper(colum1)=lower(colum1) if it is number it will match else it will not match.
This is the simplest way to solve your problem.

Upper(col1)=lower(col1) will not work.

Ex:
say the column col1 = '6-98-89 9' which fits in char(9).
Now Upper(col1)=lower(col1) will be same. In this case it would pass the check & while inserting the process aborts saying bad character in the field.

Thnx,
Guru

Guru,

Here's a previous posting on the board that may be of use to you:

http://www.teradata.com/teradataForum/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=9&messageid=3272#bm3297

BoB

The link posted by rkeith01 doesn't work for me, anyone know how to get to the post?

CHAR2HEXINT(UPPER(col1)) NE CHAR2HEXINT(LOWER(col1)) will go a long way to solving your issue. it sometimes has issues with special characters but you can filter on those.

R

If you know the list of symbols that u can get in the field then here is a very easy solution.

scenario 1:
SELECT '12768A4',CASE WHEN UPPER('12768A4') LIKE ANY ('%A%','%B%','%C%','%D%','%E%','%F%','%G%','%H%','%I%' ,'%J%','%@%','%#%','%$%','%^%','%&%','%*%','%(%','%)%' ) THEN 'CONTAINS ALPHABET OR SYMBOLS' ELSE 'ALL INTEGER' END AS FLAG

scenario 2:
SELECT '127@684',CASE WHEN UPPER('127@684') LIKE ANY ('%A%','%B%','%C%','%D%','%E%','%F%','%G%','%H%','%I%' ,'%J%','%@%','%#%','%$%','%^%','%&%','%*%','%(%','%)%' ) THEN 'CONTAINS ALPHABET OR SYMBOLS' ELSE 'ALL INTEGER' END AS FLAG

scenario 3:
SELECT '127684',CASE WHEN UPPER('127684') LIKE ANY ('%A%','%B%','%C%','%D%','%E%','%F%','%G%','%H%','%I%' ,'%J%','%@%','%#%','%$%','%^%','%&%','%*%','%(%','%)%' ) THEN 'CONTAINS ALPHABET OR SYMBOLS' ELSE 'ALL INTEGER' END AS FLAG

Note: The list is incomplete please make change accordingly.

Hope this will help!!!

The trouble with using the LIKE ANY phrase like that is that it is EXTREMELY resource intensive. Think about what it has to do. I would imagine the explain plan for them is a nightmarish forest of OR statements.

R
Teradata Employee

I'm going to face a problem like this.  

I have a query to tune that does joins to own table using like any conditions.  The pseudo code would be something like 

SEL A.COL1, A.COL2

FROM TABLE1 A LEFT OUTER JOIN TABLE2 B

WHERE A.COL1 = B.COL1 

AND     B.COL2 LIKE ANY ( SEL C.COL1 FROM TABLE1 C WHERE C.COL2 LIKE '%@%%' ESCAPE '@') LEFT OUTER JOIN TABLE1 Z 

ON Z.COL2 LIKE ANY ( ...

i don't get it, why would people write such? If i have a million rows for TABLE2 and gazillion rows for TABLE1.  That would send the teradatabox to oblivion, why would people do such use those like any functions?  any performance alternative?