Unity 13.10 Foundation - Catalog Deploy Examples

Unity
Unity is Teradata’s data synchronization and workload routing tool providing Active – Active database availability delivering near real-time RTO/RPO
Teradata Employee

Unity 13.10 Foundation - Catalog Deploy Examples

Teradata Unity 13.10, the latest enabling technology of the Teradata Analytical Ecosystem was formally announced at PARTNERS Conference 2011. The product’s focus is to simplify the analytical ecosystem by removing the everyday complexities involved in query management and data synchronization across multiple Teradata systems. Teradata Unity delivers on this strategy by way of product automation.

Teradata Unity serves as an abstraction layer for users and applications making multiple Teradata systems appear as a single Teradata database instance. Unity dynamically manages all the traditional activities around query routing and data synchronization creating a single integration layer for the Teradata ecosystem.

Teradata Unity 13.10 is sold with managed servers and will be delivered with preinstalled software. As a customer you will work with skilled Professional Service resources to plan and assist with your implementation.  One of the early steps in your planning effort will be to determine what application(s) you want Teradata Unity to manage. Your Professional Service team will assess your environment.  Once the application has been identified you will then document the databases, tables, views, and macros that you what Teradata Unity to manage. This information will need to be loaded into Teradata Unity's Data Dictionary.

In the following sections I will show you how to initially build Teradata Unity's data dictionary and provide several ways to subsequently deploy additional objects. Once deployed, these objects will need to be activated in order for Teradata Unity to begin managing them.

For the following video clips I created a Teradata Unity HA (High Availability) environment using several small virtual machines for both Teradata Unity and the Teradata Database.

Initial Dictionary Deploy

The initial scan will select several databases that meet Teradata Unity's criteria for deploying to the data dictionary. For the initial deployment to the data dictionary I will unselect all but the demo database. Seven basic steps are required to initially build the data dictionary and enable Teradata Unity management of the selected objects:

1. Name the data dictionary
  2. Execute a discovery scan
  3. Select the databases
  4. Run the Deep Scan
  5. Select the specific objects
  6. Run the Resolve and Deploy
  7. Activate the objects

Now that we have successfully deployed the data dictionary, I will show three alternative methods for deploying and activating additional objects.

Deactivate / activate systems option

In this example Teradata Unity will be up and actively managing the systems and objects we initially deployed.  A brief outage will be required to activate the new objects that we will add to the demo1database.

Activate tables via unityadmin command line

In the second option you will see that the same basic steps are used to deploy the additional objects into the demo2database. Instead of taking a brief outage, I will show you:

1. How to deploy specific objects.
  2. The execution of a custom script which identifies tables that you want to deploy.

Note: The script that I will use to demonstrate this capability is provided as an example in our Teradata Orangebook titled "Teradata Unity: Operational Uses & Best Practices".

Dynamic catalog creation

Dynamically deploying additional objects for Teradata Unity to manage into an existing user or database can be accomplished by executing DDL directly through Teradata Unity.  In the final video clip I will run a bteq script which creates hundreds of tables, views, and macros.  Most likely you will want to use your existing ant build scripts to dynamically create objects as you migrate from your development and test environments to production.

Note: Any DDL change requires a Dictionary rescan, unless the change is one of the following:

• create/drop table
  • create/drop view
  • create/drop macro

Additional resources

Tags (2)