Alerting from Viewpoint

Viewpoint
Enthusiast

Alerting from Viewpoint

We've setup email alerts, but also working on SNMP messages , checking thru the config manual - in order to get the Notification Service working, we need to update some files - with the 'servername' and cam.db.host of the VP server - after some reading this may be VIEWPROD? (is there a place i can verify this?)

so in directory /opt/teradata/cam/notification/config

I have 2 files:-
cam-db.properties
#######################################################################
#
# CAM Datasource Properties
#
#cam.db.host=%{activeDatabaseHost}
#cam.db.port=5432
#cam.db.name=cam
#cam.db.username=cam
#cam.db.password=xxx

cam-jms.properties
#
# CAM ActiveMQ Properties
#
#cam.activemq.host=localhost
#cam.activemq.port=61616

I'm assuming i need to un-comment out the relevant lines
and amend details for the user : cam
(iI think have found a password for user CAM ....(almost buried) in file: /opt/teradata/viewpoint/conf/server.xml - is this correct?)

Any other info on getting SNMP to work would be welcome!

8 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Alerting from Viewpoint

The Teradata Notification Service is only used on the Windows workstation for Run Bteq and Run Program actions.

For Email and SNMP these actoins are handled on the Linux server. The configuration for SNMP is done via the Alert Setup portlet. There should not be any need for you to manually edit configuration files. THe passage you found in the configuration guide is for the case where you did not provide the VP server name when you installed the Windows Teradata Notification Service.

The password field you found has nothing to do with SNMP configuration.

Hope this helps.
Enthusiast

ok - I've set up the SNMP alerting from Viewpoint portlets, but need to check whether the alerts are being generated - or actually get sent anywhere
is there a way of seeing if they are logged on the linux server?
I've looked at /etc/snmp.conf, but it doesn't point to a 'messages' file.
Also ps - ef |grep snmp doesn't show any processes - does this indicate we need to start the listener? is this using snmpd?
Teradata Employee

First thing about Viewpoint and this applies to alerting in Viewpoint, is we try and architect it as a web appliance and eliminate wherever possible the need to access Linux directly. We prefer leveraging the interfaces within Viewpoint. Three immediate suggestions.

First, you should read the Viewpoint 13.03 Configuration Guide for alert considerations. This will give you some guidance.

Second, read the Viewpoint on-line help for the Admin menu items of Alert Setup and Teradata System -> Alerts. Then also for the "Alert Viewer" portlet.

Third, refer to the DevX article for the release of Viewpoint 13.03 that provides an overview of the alerting. That link is below and may also help.

http://developer.teradata.com/viewpoint/articles/teradata-viewpoint-13-03-released

To your specific question, setting up alerts is a two step process. The first is what Bruce referred to.

To setup the alerting foundation, you should be configuring all that in the Admin - Alert Setup option. This provides initial configuration for SMTP, SNMP, etc.

To create actual alerts, you need to go into the "Alerts" option under the Admin - Teradata Systems menu choice for each Teradata system where you want them setup for. It is here where you will setup the alert type (for example, when CPU usage exceeds 90%) and then the resulting actions, which could be generation of an SNMP trap.

The Alerts Viewer portlet accessible from the "Add Content" - Monitoring menu option then provides viewing of all triggered alerts. No need to go into the Linux plumbing for all this.

Most importantly, use that on-line help in Viewpoint.
Enthusiast

We have found that Viewpoint creates messages as SNMP V2 - but our company SNMP2 server uses V1 only. We have asked for a change to be made to allow V2 messages. We needed Teradata support to sign onto the Linux VP server and prove to them that the system was actually creating messages - as they weren't seeing them. From our point of view we had set all the correct alert settings, but shows that sometimes we may need to get system info that the VP system doesn't show.
Teradata Employee

Understood, thus the way I worded my response "we try and architect it as a web appliance and eliminate wherever possible the need to access Linux directly". In other words, there are exceptions.
Enthusiast

Does anyone know where to download Teradata Notification Services?
I've checked Teradata.com and the 'At Your Service' section, both under TD Client & Viewpoint.

teradatacam_win32_x86.13.03.00.00.zip
Teradata Employee

It is on the Teradata patch server under the Common Alerting Mechanism choice.
Enthusiast

Hi,

We have setup SNMP trap alerts but wanted to know what message is being sent to linux server.

Is there any place where viewpoint stores messages being sent ?

I understand that we can see the alert generated by viewpoint in "alert viewer" but, at the same time text may be different from what is being sent to SNMP trap.