Bulk Load for Viewpoint users

Viewpoint

Bulk Load for Viewpoint users

Is there any way to bulk load users into Viewpoint? We have a large number of users to add and it would be great if we could bulk load them somehow.
17 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Bulk Load for Viewpoint users

No, there is not currently a way to bulk load users into Viewpoint. Are you not planning on integrating with LDAP? If you use LDAP, then a Viewpoint user will be automatically created the first time a user logs in, and you won't need to bulk load the users. You can also control what roles this user will be assigned based on their group membership in LDAP.

Thanks. We will be looking into integrating it with LDAP then.

Steve, If we have for example 20k users in Active directory and auto provisioning is enabled, all 20k users can potentially have their accounts created and able login to viewpoint. If only 500 of them are the bonafide viewpoint users, the current auto provisioning feature will allow and potentially create accounts for those that may not need to use viewpoint. I understand that you can control access thru role mapping but you dont really want to create accounts for users that dont need to be in viewpoint.

This is something that I would be requesting for future releases for viewpoint is that auto provisioning should also have an optional control (based on AD group membership or memberOf) so the users that are trully need viewpoint access are the only ones that can be auto provisioned.
Teradata Employee

As you noted, if you leave the "User" role alone and don't add any permissions to it, then the users will be able to log into Viewpoint but won't have access to any functionality. However, I see how this isn't viewed as the ideal solution. Another option is to limit the search base or list of DNs to those that contain the bonafide Viewpoint users. However, I assume this isn't possible given the way most organizations structure their directories, but I thought I'd throw out the idea just in case it might work.

Are you setting up role mapping then so that the user's AD group membership drives what Viewpoint roles users are added to? Because one easy way for us to implement this requirement would be to say that users would only be auto-provisioned if they map into at least one role. We could make this an option on the LDAP configuration screen. Would that meet your needs?
Fan

It would be nice to have the bulk add - I have approx 100 users to create and the current process of adding new user and adding user to role is tedious and time consuming when the shop is not extensive and you are the only one doing the work. No we are not using AD yet - sometime in the near future. I could offer same PMON feature with sql that in one shot could add functionality for all users in my list. Hardly a like for like solution no?
Teradata Employee

You would have to deploy PMON to the desktops of all those 100 users, so I don't think it's fair to compare the user provisioning for Viewpoint to PMON. The recommendation would certainly be to use LDAP if you need to maintain that many Viewpoint users. However, I will create an enhancement request for doing a bulk load of users into Viewpoint.
Enthusiast

I'd suggest LDAP is the way to go. We were in this situation with limited resources to manage the system and taking on the user maintenance was just too much. Password reset requests everyday!! Once we got onto LDAP its become more of a selfserve and more informed users with better questions to be answered!!
Teradata Employee

And as of Viewpoint 13.12, the first time users can now have a default dashboard configured, ready, and waiting for their first login.

Teradata Employee

With Viewpoint 14.00, there still no method/API to bulk load users into Viewpoint?

Is there a method/API to allow an external home-grown application to create and manage Viewpoint usernames and Viewpoint Roles.

It could be that setting up role mapping so that the user's AD group membership drives what Viewpoint roles users are assigned.  How is that implemented?