Can Teradata Development Porlet (Come with PDK) be setup for real Data Collection?

Viewpoint
Enthusiast

Can Teradata Development Porlet (Come with PDK) be setup for real Data Collection?

Hi everyone,

This may seem like a silly question, but I am still new to PDK and Viewpoint.
- If yes, how can we achieve it?
- If no, I believe we need to have the actual production Viewpoint that has DCS activated. Again, how can we integrate them into our developing system?

Thanks a million for your help and explanation,

Warmest regards,
5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Can Teradata Development Porlet (Come with PDK) be setup for real Data Collection?

Nope. The idea is the PDK is for test purposes only and can't be used as a "real" instance of Viewpoint.
Enthusiast

Re: Can Teradata Development Porlet (Come with PDK) be setup for real Data Collection?

Hello,

testing without any data is really difficult. Is there any way to get some data anyway?

Regards

JW

Teradata Employee

I'm assuming you are trying to build a portlet that gets its data from the Postgres cache database.  If that's the case, then you have two options:

1. Load some of the data from a test Viewpoint server into your local Postgres database.  The pg_dump and pg_restore utilities can be used to dump and restore data for Postgres.
  2. Point your development Viewpoint instance to a test Viewpoint server that contains some data.  Information about how to do that is in the PDK: http://developer.teradata.com/viewpoint/reference/getting-started-with-viewpoint-pdk/installing-the-....  See "Step 4: Configuring the Teradata Viewpoint Portal".
Enthusiast

Hello,

thanks a lot for your answer.

Browsing the forums about creating custom table, I was assuming postgres logon informations to be private. I didn't try the given password as shown in the installation documents.

In fact, this is right, I was so able to connect to my "real"  viewpoint postgres database and so got some data

Regards

Enthusiast

On the flip side to the this, if we have already created a portlet using the PDK, how to we export this for use on the actual Viewpoint server? Is this porcess documented somehwere also?