Could not run startup.bat

Viewpoint

Could not run startup.bat

I am freshly installing teradata View point on my system. I have followed the instructions in the instruction manual. Once I ran the setup.bat successfully, I am not able to startup the Teradata View point. I Ran the startup.bat batch file. It shows me a Tomcat window , there is some stuff going on in the screen and it shows me message 'Server startup in 13350 ms' and remains as is. I was never able to startup the viewpoint.

Does anybody have any idea about this? Am I missing any steps in installation process?
19 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Could not run startup.bat

Leo,

When you see the "server startup in X ms", it usually means that the server has started up successfully. Are there an exception stacktraces in the console output? In fact, can you grab the contents of the console window (all the way back to the start of the command), paste it into a text file, and post to this forum?

- Neil O'Toole

But when I try to access the page http://localhost:8080/, it shows me the following

HTTP Status 404 - /

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Status report

message /

description The requested resource (/) is not available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Tomcat/5.5.23

Im not very familiar with the portals and Java.Attaching the content on tomcat window here
Teradata Employee

From the output of your logfile, it looks like there's a problem with the classpath; that is, Tomcat can't find the correct class to load for the JDBC driver. Two issues here:

1. Strongly recommend that you install the PDK in a location without spaces in the path. E.g. "C:\dev\tdpdk-13.00.00.01\"
2. Have you set the %CATALINA_HOME% environment variable?? This should point to the location you've installed viewpoint, e.g. "C:\dev\tdpdk-13.00.00.01\viewpoint-portal"
3. Sometimes clashes can occur if you've got lots of other stuff on your system classpath. Essentially your system classpath (that is, the value of the environment variable %CLASSPATH%) should be empty or almost empty if you're doing development work. What is the content of %CLASSPATH% on your system?

I suspect the problem is due to classpath only.I have taken care to install the TDK pack.

The following is my system class path

.;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

do you have any recommendation to this?

As explained in the instructions manual I have set the CATALINA_HOME path correctly.I just verified that.
Teradata Employee

Well, I definitely see one problem. Currently Viewpoint is only supported under JDK 1.5.x, so you'll need to switch to that JDK, and then report back :-)

Well, Im running JDK 1.5.x (see the path C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_02).How are there are more than one versions of java run-time environment installed, starting jre 1.5.x,1.6.x.

Do you have recommendations on setting the path to refer to appropriate package
Teradata Employee

When you type "java -version" from the command line, which version do you get?

Neil,

Finally, I have got this one to work.I cleaned up all the redundant Java releases on my system.Edited the xml files as described in the Installation guide and ran the batch files. The Application server is up and running.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Thanks
Leo
Teradata Employee

Glad to hear it Leo. Good luck on your Viewpoint development adventure!