DCSDB

Viewpoint
Teradata Employee

DCSDB

one of the viewpoint databases, 'dcsdb' holds all the data of the DCS in it, but mine in particular has a problem:

the data retention is set to 6 months, but the database contains 400+ GB of data that's over three years old (probably older installations never purged)

how can i reduce it to the current one, better, the daily backup's one ?

(pg_restore as far as i know works only for the .backup files, but the /data/backup/dcs folder doesn't contain them)

any clues? 

thanks in advance

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: DCSDB

Viewpoint's DCS process maintains all of the data in the dcsdb database.  There's a data retention policy for each data collector on each monitored system.  There isn't a single global retention policy, as we expect each collector and system to accumulate data at different rates.  If you look at the Disk Usage portion of the Teradata Systems portlet, you should get an idea of what systems and collectors are contributing most to the space used.  Also, starting with Viewpoint 14.01, the data for all systems that have been deleted from Teradata Systems will be cleaned up as well.

Manually running processes against Viewpoint's internal databases are not typically things that are supported, so I would strongly encourage you to avoid running any undocumented cleanup or restore processes.  Maybe you share what version of Viewpoint you are running and some more details about exactly what tables are over 3 years old.

Teradata Employee

the version of viewpoint is 13.12 and the 'systems' defined in Teradata Systems still remain the same, with the same names (they haven't changed a bit). The data i would like to cleanup is the 2010 data for the actual systems, that wasn't clean up yet, and probably is from the version 12 of Viewpoint.

Teradata Employee

You should upgrade to Viewpoint 14.10.  Viewpoint 13.12 is 3 versions old at this point, and doesn't contain the code to clean up any deleted systems.  There are also likely a couple of bugs in the cleanup that have been fixed in the last couple of years since 13.12 was released.

Teradata Employee

Agree with Steve. Viewpoint 13.12 released in August 2011 so you are missing features from three major versions (14.00, 14.01, 14.10) and a slew of patch releases. 

Teradata Employee

I solved this by working with the scripts in /opt/teradata, by changing the interval of purging to test it, then the system was upgraded to 14.10 without the relevantly additional data (100+GB) and worked like a charm