Getting false alerts from VP

Viewpoint

Getting false alerts from VP

hi all,

we are getting false alerts from VP as system health - Down, as per the article

http://developer.teradata.com/blog/stever/2011/08/understanding-the-system-health-equation

only in below situations system health should be down

• A canary query is enabled in the health equation and returns an error (such as a SQL parse exception or login failure).
  • The System Heartbeat canary query is enabled in the health equation and fails to complete in under 60 seconds.
  • Any other canary query is enabled in the health equation and fails to complete in under 30 minutes.

here System Heartbeat canary query is disabled and no other canary queries are added in system health equation, and at that time all other metrics are below the threshold set for "degraded" condition.

how to identify the root cause of this problem? any one faced the same/similar problem?

VP version: 13.11

DBS version:13.10.3.8

Thanks

1 REPLY
Teradata Employee

Re: Getting false alerts from VP

A few considerations.

At the time of the alerts being triggered, does System Health accurately reflect the down condition? Or you could check the Productivity portlet as well. 

If you disable all the canary queries including the system heartbeat, I believe the down condition will still be reflected if the other collectors cannot connect to the system. I would question why you would disable the hearbeat query though.

Last consideration is that Viewpoint 13.11 is a bit dated considering it released in December 2010. You are two major releases (13.12 and 14.0) and several patch levels behind the current offers. 

So mimimally I'd suggest a Viewpoint upgrade to a more current release.