How to create Missing Statistics found by AUTOSTATS?

Viewpoint
Enthusiast

How to create Missing Statistics found by AUTOSTATS?

Hi

AUTOSTATS in Viewpoint looks to be doing a good job at finding missing statistics on combinations of columns.

A lot of our tables now have column combinations showing up as 'Missing' in AUTOSTATS.

I have not been able to find the button 'Approve Missing Stats' og 'Create Missing Stats'.

What to do?

autostats.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Enthusiast

Re: How to create Missing Statistics found by AUTOSTATS?

Then I'd guess the collect job has not run yet for those stats.

Click on the individual missing stats to see more details.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Hi Klaus,

Given that the statistics are Automated for given objects, go to Statistics tab in StatsManager portlet and click on "Recommendations" in the right upper corner. You can approve the StatsManager's suggestions there (within 4 categories: Collect/Reactivate/Deactivate/Automate). More on that in Teradata Viewpoint User Guide; Chapter 25: Stats Manager.

That being said, be careful with the recommendations. StatsManager will recommend plenty of statistics that may improve the level of confidence in execution plans, but if the execution plan itself does not change, they are not really necessary. You may end up wasting resources for collecting statistics with no real added value.

Best,

Tomas

Enthusiast

Hi Tomas

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. However the description you give is how I would have expected the AUTOSTATS process to run but not what I see in practice.

As you can see from this screenshot below AUTOSTATS tells me that stats on a combination of columns are missing. But the recommendations in the top right corner says 0.

This confuses me a bit =)

autostats2.JPG 

Enthusiast

Then I'd guess the collect job has not run yet for those stats.

Click on the individual missing stats to see more details.

Enthusiast

Thanks. This was just the thing.

I guess the accepted changes show up as missing until the next run.

Thanks Again.

Enthusiast

Happy to help :)