IE 6.x usage of Viewpoint

Viewpoint
Teradata Employee

IE 6.x usage of Viewpoint

Hey,

Following in the footsteps of the general Internet community, we are seriously considering dropping support of IE6.x for Viewpoint in 2011. We will continue support for the newer IE variants and Firefox. We are also considering additional browser support. So what are your thoughts on discontinuance of IE6.x? And what other browsers would you like to see formally supported for use with Viewpoint?

Let us know.

Gary Ryback
Teradata PM for Viewpoint
Tags (3)
10 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: IE 6.x usage of Viewpoint

Gary,

The previous client I worked with in the public sector was still at IE6 on their most recent client image that was rolled out in 2009/2010. I'd suggest including support for Chrome and Safari as well. While were at it why not add a Viewpoint iPad application to the wish list. :)
Teradata Employee

From a browser standpoint, you nailed it. Our next two candidates would be Chrome and Safari. Applications are also an interesting discussion ... iPad, iPhone, Droid? That too is being discussed but the first matter of business is IE6.x. I do know some companies still run IE6 as the primary and possibly have internal application dependencies/certification that stands in the way of migration, not to mention investment and distribution issues. But do those companies allow for dual browser installations? For instance, I have IE and Firefox and use accordingly. Our hope is that no one is forced to use IE6.x and only IE6.x. Comments?
Teradata Employee

I work in a government agency still stuck on IE6 and I have no hope. (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9180129/U.K._government_nixes_kill_IE6_campaign?source=rss_security)

Also the implementation is locked down so tight that some of the VP portlets containing graphs don't function correctly.
Enthusiast

At my previous client, as an IT employee you were allowed to install a second browser such as Firefox but the client team at the risk of losing support for any customizations made to the client image by the "Client Image" (generalization) team. If you ran into a problem that you couldn't resolve on your own they would simply re-image your computer. But the option was at least there to get out from under IE6.

I'm not sure how much effort it would take to leverage internal resources to implement an informal poll to determine how many customer are still officially supporting IE6. You could do an informal poll walking the halls at Partners next week. (Maybe get Todd Walters to ask in his sessions as they seem to always be well attended.)

Applications for mobile devices and tablets would be a nice value add. I can see having my iPad docked at my desk running Viewpoint in full screen. This is great for companies that permit WiFi devices on their network. There are limitations to what kind of access DBA's may have to the ViewPoint server from outside the corporate firewall. (If they can VPN from their iPad, I envy them!) Both iOS and Android are the logical places to invest development efforts.

Obviously more people have a mobile device running iOS or Android than do a tablet. Until Android has a successful tablet offering, iOS is the logical place to start. But I wouldn't ignore Android and would try to come to the table with a mobile offering for both devices simultaneously.
Teradata Employee

So the government agency won't allow installation of any browser but IE6.x? The included article has some valid points but as the browser is not optimized for Java and Microsoft certainly is no longer investing in it for feature functionality ... it really has no future.
Teradata Employee

Correction. IE6 is not optimized for today's JavaScript.
Teradata Employee

No other browser is installed just IE6. The IT desktop infrastructure contract is outsourced and the agency has to pay to have any products validated, packaged and installed. Trying to get TTU tools on the approved application list took nearly 3 years originally and we're currently pushing TTU13 as an upgrade to the approved packages. That has been in the queue since April this year. The cost is eye-watering & no wonder the country is broke.

Fortunately we run some PCs in development outside the standard infrastructure and can at least show that Viewpoint works correctly. Unfortunately that doesn't help my business community.
Teradata Employee

They can't stay on IE6 forever, do they have a timetable for migrating to a newer version?
Teradata Employee

No plans to upgrade from IE6 on XP SP3 at the moment. We have been requested to provide compatibility information for TTU on Windows 7 (along with IE8) but I don't expect that to begin rollout for at least another 12-18 months.