Migrating to new Viewpoint server

Viewpoint
Enthusiast

Migrating to new Viewpoint server

Hi,

We are migrating from one viewpoint server to another. How do I copy existing roles, users so that I do not have to recreate the users.

I do not care about the historical data collection.

thanks,

Satish

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Migrating to new Viewpoint server

My thought:

Do you have configuration mgmt infrastructure in your project? Or Teradata also has MDS. Afaik,MDS can act like a code promotion tool too where you can port your codes to different in-house envs. It is a  tool where like other ETL tool  like Ab Initio EME, we can manage meta data(create,delete,migrate,browse and some more features like interatcing with tools,web-based apps too.).

I do not know if they can be moved through Ecosystem- Unity mover,Unity director,Unity loader etc.

Cheers,

Teradata Employee

The easiest method would be to do the full Viewpoint restore to the new system. If you don't want the historical data, you could configure the retention times to remove all that data either on the old system prior to running a backup or on the new system after the restore. This method would also assure that you restore all the Teradata system alerts and other system configuraiton other than just users and roles.

There is a section in the "Viewpoint Configuration Guide" that outlines the steps for "Migrating to a New Teradata Viewpoint Server".

I don't see how the other forum suggestion would help with your question. 

Enthusiast

Hi gryback,

We have 2 physical Viewpoint servers, one on V14.00.00.07 and our new one on V14.11. We are in the process of getting both updated to the latest certified patch level, so we can setup a cluster environment.

In the meantime, is there anyway we can setup the new server to access the data already on the existing server so that we can run the portlets against the data? Hopefully without the need to copy across all the data!

Another question along the same lines - We also have a virtual Viewpoint server on a 2700 system, installed on the same server as the 2700 SWS and I was wondering if it would be possisble to setup this system to access the cache from the clustered environment we setup with the two physical servers?

Teradata Employee

Unfortunately there is no Viewpoint "remote access" architecture allowing viewing of data from another Viewpoint instance. The data needs to be migrated and you will need the two Viewpoint systems to be at the same version. 

What you are alluding to is what we term horizontal scalability being albe to have one Viewpoint system display information from another. This is an existing futures consideration. 

Enthusiast

Hi gryback,

Is there a way to export and import only the alerts from one viewpoint to another?

Teradata Employee

As you probably know, you can copy the alerts between Teradata DB systems on the same Viewpoint instance but we don't currently offer a alerts export / import between Viewpoint instances.