No Data in Query Monitor

Viewpoint
Teradata Employee

No Data in Query Monitor

I have an issue that I cannot figure out.  In Viewpoint, my Query Monitor session shows no data.  DBQL is turned on.  What other features in ViewPoint or Teradata need to be turned on for the Query Monitor portlet to function properly?

Thanks!

Paul

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: No Data in Query Monitor

Paul,

Viewpoint uses the PM/API to collect most of its data, including the session data in Query Monitor.  You therefore need to enable session sampling on Teradata.  You can enable session sampling in the Admin->Teradata Systems portlet, under the Monitor Rates section.

If that's not the problem, then in the Teradata Systems portlet, when you select the Data Collectors section, you will likely see a red triangle next to the Session collector.  Click on that triangle to get a modal with the exact error message.  That should shed some light on what is causing the issue.

You also need to grant certain privileges to the Teradata user being utilized to run the data collection from Viewpoint.  You will see a privilege-related error in the modal if this is the situation.

Hope that helps!

Steve

Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

I'm having the same issue as Paul.  I've tried the options you suggested and I'm still not able to see session info.  I'm not getting an error in the Data Collectors section.  I have 5550s (enterprise class) and they are working fine but not getting session info for the new 2690s (TD appliance)

I feel like it's just something minor I'm missing.  Any other hints?

Thanks, Nathan

Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

This is working now.  I was following the viewpoint config documentation, I just think it took a little time for the session sampling to show.

Thanks, Nathan

Enthusiast

We have noticed a similar issue in the Teradata Viewpoint Query Monitor portet.  We've been using it for a couple years now and just a few weeks ago I noticed that when we click on the session to drill down, only the Overview and the Skew tabs are available.  We can no longer see the SQL or the Explain of the query that is running in ANY session.  I checked the Monitor Rates and Data Collectors as you metioned above and they appear to be all set correctly and I see no red triangles warning of any error.  Any idea what may have happened to our Viewpoint config to cause this problem?  We have not changed anything that I can think of on the system except failed drives and applying some FROs.

Thanks,

Mike

Enthusiast

I verified all the settings were correct in Viewpoint.  I then stopped and started the Viewpoint services on the Linux box.  That didn't fix it immediately but I checked again in 10 minutes or so and the SQL and EXPLAIN tabs were functional again in the Query Monitor portlet.