One User Multiple Logons

Viewpoint
Enthusiast

One User Multiple Logons

Hi all,

Is there a way in Viewpoint to create one generic user called 'Monitor' that allows multiple logons at the same time?  If not, is the best way to accomplish this simply to create a username for each user who needs to logon?

thanks,

Joe

2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: One User Multiple Logons

Joe,

what exactly are you trying to do?  Are you wanting to setup a generic id and let all your users use it to log into Viewpoint?  If so, then no that won't work.  As soon as you try to log in with the same id from different instances it will cancel the older one out (i'm pretty sure this is the case, as i have had to do this to me when trying to do some troubleshooting).

You could just set it up so that it can resolve against your companies ldap authentication, and the users can signup themselves and it will create the id, then just create a set of roles that give them the portlets and controls that you want them to have.

This is how we have approached it.  All users can log into viewpoint with their ldap info and it will create their account.  Then the admin just has to provide the users with a basic set of portlets that they need to be able to see.  If the uses has a need for more than the average user then you might have different roles setup for different types of users and then the viewpoint admin would add that user to the appropriate roles given the specific needs.   Of course this also means that someone would need to define what roles are needed for the site and what portlets/controls are to be given to each role.

Enthusiast

Re: One User Multiple Logons

Thanks Tuen!  Yes... I was wanting to setup a generic id and let all users us it to log into Viewpoint.  Of course I tried that and it didn't work so I just wanted to verify that I wasn't doing something wrong.  Thank you very much for the other suggestions.  I will work something out.

Joe