Overview of Teradata Viewpoint 15.10

Viewpoint
Teradata Viewpoint is Teradata's strategic and innovative SOV (single operational view) for Teradata DB, Aster, and HDP Hadoop systems management and monitoring that enables Teradata's Unified Data Architecture (UDA).
Enthusiast

Re: Overview of Teradata Viewpoint 15.10

Hi Shrity,

Thanks for the info..

Will try and see.

Thanks

Gangadhar.

Teradata Employee

Hi Geeta,

I don't think driver version is an issue.

Thanks

Shrity

Enthusiast

Shrity,

Regarding the SNAPSHOT INFO section in QueryMonitor/MYQueries, it gives us the session details in last sampling period, sampling period means for last 600 seconds OR for how much time it shows us the details. Is there any place we can increase or decrease this sampling period? Becuase, as far as i know I think the SESSIONS data collector provides the details for the SQL and EXPLAIN tabs for these portlets, i checked in SESSION data collector for SNAPSHOT INFO sample period, but i didnt find any option.  Pleaes share your thoughts.

Teradata Employee

Geeta,

The sampling period means the snapshot data value at the time last sample was collected which depends on sampling rate defined in your data collector. For session data collector it is 30 sec by default. You can change that rate.

Thanks

Shrity

Enthusiast

Got it. So the sample rate of the sessions data collector is the sample rate of SNAPSHOT INFO.

Thank you for the quick answer.

Enthusiast

Shrity,

If i do not set up a specific QUERYGROUP for each application, i cannot make use of APPLICATION QUERIES portlet based on the APPID of each application that is available in DBQL?

Becuase, i am seeing the data in QUERY LOG portlet, but Application Queries portlet is empty. As far as i understood from the manual, if we have the DBQL data we can see the data of all the application on which the dBQL is logged. Please let me know what else i am missing.

Teradata Employee

Geeta,

Viewpoint will generate application name and version from queryband. If you follow Teradata recommended queryband format Viewpoint will automatically generate application name. After that you need to assign Viewpoint roles/users to a the application using query group setup portlet for user to see details about "only" their application, that they have access to, in Application Queries portlet.

Thanks

Shrity

Enthusiast

We are not following the TD recommended Queryband for the applications, rather we have part of the queryband for specifying the Application Name, and for Viewpoint we did not define any queryband at all. After reading your response above, i quickly checked the Viewpoint queryband, it is taking the default as you said something like =s>app=Viewpoint,version=15.10.00.03,source=DataCollectorName. So having said that, ApplicationQueries portllet should show the Viewpoint user queries because I already assign my id to the querygroup to see the details about Viewpoint. But still i could not able to see anything in ApplicationQueries Portlet.

I submitted an incident for the same.

Just for my clarification sake I am asking this question.

If we do not define the querygroup, there is no use of ApplicationQueries Portlet? Is this true statement, OR

Any application with defined QueryBand (as shown below) for its application queries can be monitored from ApplicationQueries Porlet?

For ex Querband format: appname=Informatica, appid=xxx, version=nnn

Teradata Employee

Geeta,

Application queries are targeted for Application users to see "their" application performance only. So you have to assign appropriate Viewpoint users to their application in order for Viewpoint to know which application details should be shown to which user. You use Query Group setup portlet to do so. If you want to see all the applications running on the system you will have to look at Query Log portlet and drill down to Application section.

Thanks

Shrity 

Enthusiast

Thank  you for patiently answering my questions.