Portlet refresh rate

Viewpoint
Enthusiast

Portlet refresh rate

Hi

Is there a way we can change the portlet refresh rate.  I know we can manually do a refresh, but wondering if we change certain data collectors if this will update the refresh rate.  I'm interested in the Query Monitor and System Health portlets in particular.  I have seen cases where  a problem is identified in the System Health protlet, that when resolved take a long time to update the System Health portlet, usually over 10 minutes.

We are running Viewpoint 14.00

Cheers

Steven

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Portlet refresh rate

Steven,

The default refresh rate is 60 seconds. Check your

Dashboard Data Interval setting on the General/intervals tab of your working ruleset, it is recommended  that these match.

Rglass

Enthusiast

Hi Glass

Thanks for that, yes it is set to 60 seconds.  Is that the same for all portlets, as the SYSTEM HEALTH portlet has in the past taken longer to refresh after an issue like DBC out of space was fixed.

Cheers

Steven

Teradata Employee

The rate at which each portlet polls back to the server to check for new data varies from portlet to portlet.  For both System Health and Query Monitor, this rate is 30 seconds.  This rate is not configurable.

However, the rate at which the Viewpoint Data Collection Service (DCS) goes off to Teradata to collect new data is configurable.  This is configured in the Monitored Systems portlet per data collector.  Query Monitor data is primarily collected by the Sessions and SQL Explain collectors.  Check the monitor rate on the Sessions collector to determine how often the DCS is updating session data in its internal database.  If it's set to the default rate, then the DCS will use the session sampling rate set on that database system.

System Health is a little bit of a different beast. System Health is meant to be an overview of many aspects of the system, and therefore data that is displayed in that portlet comes from many different sources and thus many different data collectors.  Each of these data collectors can potentially have a different sample rate.  In particular, the DBC disk space displayed in System Health is collected by the Disk Space collector, which by default collects data every hour.  It's also possible you have customized this collector to run every 10 minutes.  So while a metric like the total number of sessions or CPU utilization might be updated every 30-60 seconds, DBC Disk Space might be updated only every 10 minutes or 1 hour.

Hope that helps shed some light on what you might be seeing Steven.

Enthusiast

Thanks Stever

I have updated our data collectors for Disk space and Database space  to the minimum of 15 minutes (900 seconds).  I have also modified the sessions collector from 30 seconds to 10 seconds.  I don't believe this will cause any issues, however will monitor to ensure no issues.

Cheers

Steve

Teradata Employee

I would not recommend setting the Session collector frequency to anything less than the session sampling rate.  You will just be collecting the same data multiple times, as the database API that Viewpoint calls only is updated once every sampling period.

Enthusiast

Yep good point, have modified.

Cheers