Spool Alert on Viewpoint 14.10

Viewpoint

Spool Alert on Viewpoint 14.10

Hi, 

I am trying to create an alert to monitor spool usage at the session level.  I want to send an alert only when any session uses 5 TB spool for 30 mins. I don't see any option to mention the time limit in the alert settings.

Any suggestions on how to go for this scenario?

5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Spool Alert on Viewpoint 14.10

Submit an enhancement request for a new alert type. 

Teradata Employee

You can also leverage Open APIs to do this. Its not difficult. I implemented a similiar idea at a client using a shell script. It is especially useful when you have a single account sharing spool with hundreds of users as is the case with many BI implementations. I've linked to the Application programming reference which has information and examples on how to use the Open API. Have fun.

Here are some basic components that you may find useful:

SELECT hostid,username ,sessionNo,reqspool

FROM

TABLE (MonitorSession(-1,'*',0)) AS t2

--WHERE username='dwapp001' 

ORDER BY reqspool;

/* Abort sessions selectively for a user */ SEL 'SELECT AbortSessions(' ||

TRIM(A.Hostid)||','||''''||TRIM(A.UserName) || '''' ||','|| CAST(A.SessionNo AS FLOAT

FORMAT'zzzzz9999') || ','||''''|| 'Y' || ''''

||','|| ''''|| 'N' || '''' || ');' (TITLE '')

FROM (

SELECT hostid,username ,sessionNo

FROM

TABLE (MonitorSession(-1,'*',0)) AS t2

--  WHERE username='dwapp001' 

) A ORDER BY username;

http://www.info.teradata.com/edownload.cfm?itemid=131540002

Hi Gary,

I have another issue in Spool Alert in Viewpoint, I created an alert in viewpoint if the spool usage is greater than 1 TB(524880 MB), But, we are receiving alerts for 100 GB spool usage also, Is there any skew calculation included in this spool usage calcualtion here?

Teradata Employee

There is a known bug with the session spool alert calculation in Viewpoint 14.10.  Even though the screen where you enter the alert indicates the data should be entered in MB, it's actually saved and alerted on like the value is in bytes.  As a workaround, you can enter the value in bytes.

This issue has been fixed in Viewpoint 15.00.00.03.  The JIRA issue number is VP-32656.

Thanks Steve..