Teradata Data Lab 15.10 Release

Viewpoint
Teradata Viewpoint is Teradata's strategic and innovative SOV (single operational view) for Teradata DB, Aster, and HDP Hadoop systems management and monitoring that enables Teradata's Unified Data Architecture (UDA).
Teradata Employee

Teradata Data Lab 15.10 Release

Very pleased to announce the formal release of Teradata Data Lab 15.10 effective April 2015! Teradata Data Lab 15.10 is a very exciting release as it is a significant product evolution in feature functionality, navigation, performance and ease of use. The Data Lab Viewpoint interface has been combined into one redesigned double-wide portlet offering more information, context sensitive requests, and enhanced navigation. Read on to discover more about this new exciting Data Lab product release.

Data Lab Concept:

To review, the key concept around Teradata Data Lab is to stop moving production data out of production to feed analytical islands, such as spread marts or data marts. Instead, move the analytical proofing data into a production intelligent sandbox environment where Data Lab provides production protection for the DBA while allowing self-service provisioning and governance capabilities desired by the analytical community. A much better approach in terms of data security, user efficiency, system resource usage, and proofing confidence to name just a few of the benefits.

Data Lab 15.10 Release Overview:

Here are the highlights of the Data Lab 15.10 Release:

See below for more details on all of these exciting new features.

The New Data Labs Portlet

With the Data Lab 15.10 release, the Data Labs portlet is now an all-inclusive, covering all functionality of the prior Data Lab release Lab Group Setup and Data Labs portlets. In addition to combining the two portlets, we have expanded the real estate of the portlet to allow for more column displays as well as improved navigation between lab groups, data labs, and tables. Within this new architecture, there are also performance improvements! Here's the new portlet look showing all three levels of Data Lab (lab groups, labs, and tables) in a single "Monitoring" view. 

There are a number of new columns for display across the lab group. lab, and table views, in particular at the lab group level. As a reminder, you select and configure your column preferences through the "Configure Columns" option in the upper right "Table Actions" pull down menu as highlighted above. Here are the available columns across the three levels:

In addition to the new format, we have added Situational Awareness for easy informational display and request creation / submission whether that is requesting a display of lab details or extending an existing lab. These new menus, triggered via the pull down in the left margin, are available at all three levels as shown below. The lab group or data lab creation is now done through the "+" in the blue left margin section headers for Lab Groups and Labs. Note that the Requests tab has been maintained so you can still generate and submit requests there as well. 

In the view above, you will also notice a new lab request option, that being "Reinstate Lab". Since the first Data Lab release, we have always offered expirations of labs driving the point that data labs should not be permanent. A lab that expires simply has the access permissions removed, so the underlying tables and data remain intact. In the past, if you wanted to transition an expired lab to be active again, access permissions had to be manually rebuilt. With Data Lab 15.10, the access permissions are captured as part of the expiration. The new Reinstate Lab now allows an easy automated way to reapply the expired permissions. This should make resurrecting expired labs much less painful. 

Data Lab 15.10 also now offers new owner and user/role access displays at both the lab group and lab levels. These displays are initiated through the View Lab Group Details and View Lab Details requests. Here are the resulting displays when these new request options are selected. Worth noting, to enable these new displays, there is a new lab group "Enable display of users and roles for the lab group and labs" toggle checkbox. Refer to the New Lab Group Features section of this article for the exact location of this checkbox.

Here are two views of the View Lab Group Details, the first showing the "General" lab group informational display and the other displaying the user / role access at the lab group level. The "Owners" display option would obviously display the Lab Group Owners listing. The View Lab Details shows very similar information but for the labs themselves.

New Lab Group Features

There are a number of new lab group features that have been realized in the Data Lab 15.10 release. Many of these were direct customer requests and we listened! So let's walk through these by looking at some of the setup steps in the refreshed "new look" lab group 6-steps setup wizard. 

Step #1 in setting up a lab group is to define the aspects of the lab group itself. For this step in Data Lab 15.10, you will see the new lab group description field which will assist users in those Data Lab installations where the number of lab groups is increasing. There is also a new database search capability when selecting the "Parent database" which makes it easier to navigate the Teradata system objects. This setup step is also where the new toggle checkbox for user / role displays is located. 

Step #2 in setting up a lab group is to define the settings and defaults related to the labs within this lab group. This step in particular has a number of customer requested additions. Hopefully it is not getting too busy. The first enhancement to mention is the configurable day settings for the number of day settings for expirations, deletions, and the new maximum cumulative life. The number of day selections in the past was limited to a specific pick list (i.e. 30, 60, 90 ...). This just didn't provide enough flexibility for all the different customer use cases. Although we didn't abandon the pick list due to its ease-of-use value, you can now manually enter whatever number of days you want. So the "99" days to expiration and "33" days to deletion in the screen shot below.

We have also added the "Remove no expiration option from requests" checkbox. Yet another customer request where those pesky users would ALWAYS select no expiration when requesting a lab extension. Those customers that believe labs should be temporary would never approve a "no expiration" extension request so why even offer it. So you no longer have to offer this extension request. Another checkbox addition in this setup step is the "Grant lab users CREATE TABLE privilege". This is for customers that don't allow users to create objects due to concerns around object ownership and grant access capability. So for those customers that require objects created in a different manner, through a stored procedure for instance, they can now implement Data Lab without object ownership concerns. 

The most significant addition in this step is "Request Limits". Request limits implement maximum setting controls for both the life and size of a data lab within this lab group. In the majority of cases, a data lab should be temporary and the new maximum cumulative life provides a secondary level of control. For instance, a lab owner continues to request lab extensions at an extension that is automatically approved. The request that exceeds the cumulative life will go for approval regardless of any automated approval settings. The same idea applies to the maximum size where the new automated approval logic is that certain size increases will be automatically approved but only to a certain limit, they then go for formal approval regardless. These new limits should help both DBAs and Lab Group Owners in managing lab groups and labs in their environment.

The other four steps (#3-#6) of the lab group setup wizard have not really changed in Data Lab 15.10 with one minor exception on step #6. Below is a quick review of these other steps and information on the minor addition to step #6.

• Setup step #3: Owners - The description of this step is "Select which Viewpoint users and roles own the lab group." This assigns Lab Group Owners who are then enabled to approve and thus manage lab group requests within this lab group. Note this is a Viewpoint assignment so there is no actual additional Teradata permissions granted as part of this operation. Another point of confusion is Lab Group Owners are NOT enabled to create new or edit existing lab groups. 
  • Setup step #4: Private - The optional setup step is described as "Restrict which Teradata users and roles can access the lab group." So a private lab group is not only controlled from a visibility standpoint but also limited to what Teradata user and roles can be included in lab group requests, for instance an "Add User" request. 
  • Setup step #5: Default Users - Access within Data Lab can be at a lab group or lab level. So as the step description mentions "Select which Teradata users and roles have access to all labs in this lab group." This is access assignment at the lab group level. Note that access at the lab level is done during a new lab request or subsequent add user request.
  • Setup step #6: Approvers - The approvers step defines what requests at what thresholds are automatically approved or require approval and by whom it may be approved, either a lab owner or lab group owner. The step description describes this as "Set the thresholds and approver for each request type." There was one informative addition to this screen that being an informational notation for the lab default size setting (100MB in the graphic below). The reason we added this is to enforce compliance with the presented defaults in a add lab request. For the lab group below when a request for a new lab is generated, the size default presented is 100MB. The self-service auto-provisioning thinking here is that if the requester chooses the default or something smaller, than that should be a consideration for automatic approval. This simply saves from having to go back to step #2 and retrieve that lab setting.

Enhanced My Notifications:

My Notifications is a preference setting to allow you to manage your emails generated from the Data Lab product. The same as other Viewpoint preferences, this is located in the "Portlet menu" pull down in the upper right corner of the Data Labs portlet. This enhanced preferences now offer the following email configuration options:

Release Compatibility:

• Teradata Data Lab 15.10 requires Teradata Viewpoint 15.10 and vice versa.
  • Teradata Viewpoint and Data Lab 15.10 are supported with Teradata Database 15.10, 15.00, 14.10, 14.00, and 13.10 releases.
  • Teradata Data Lab is not currently supported with Teradata Aster or Hadoop but both are future roadmap considerations.

Thanks and let us know what you think of this most excellent Data Lab release.

22 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata Data Lab 15.10 Release

Hi Gary,

Great to hear about new features of Data Lab 15.10 especially Reinstate lab request which save's DBA time, Very valuable article, Thanks.

Enthusiast

Hi Gary,

I am very much interested to bring it to our management notice regarding this 15.10 version, so just thought to check with you whether Viewpoint 15.10 version supports DBMS version 14.10 or not?

Teradata Employee

That is covered in the article. Please refer to the "Release Compatibility" section that documents both Teradata DB and Viewpoint compatibilities. 

Enthusiast

Hi Gary,

Thanks for immedaite response.

Yes i am clear with Data Lab version compatiblity but thought to check on Viewpoint version compatibility (100%).

Teradata Employee

My apologies, yes Viewpoint follows the same Teradata DB support model so I've updated the Release Compatibility section to also list Viewpoint. Note that is a general policy but obviously some Viewpoint feature implementations depend on a specific Teradata DB version. See the Viewpoint 15.10 release article for some examples of those.

Enthusiast

Hi Gryback,

Could you provide the download link for teradata 14 or teradata15.

Teradata Employee

Not sure what you are asking exactly. The Teradata Express downloads are available on the download page of DevX. http://downloads.teradata.com/download

If you are asking about Teradata upgrades for your systems, then you should be working through your Teradata CSR (customer services representative). 

I would also suggest using forums for questions like this versus a comment not related to the associated article.

Hi Gary,

I worked on Data Labs 14.00 and remember that there was a password Sync issue. As the data-lab passwords are managed internally, we faced a situation where the data-lab password in the DB didnt match with what was stored in the POSTGRES. It had to be synced manually as we were not able to make any modifications to the lab. 

Also, One more concern was that the way space was being allotted. let me give an example.

Lab group A is at  50GB usage

My parent Database DATABASE_DL has 45GB free space that i can allot.

I have to add 5GB more space to LAB Group A to create new LAB. I could not add the space as it said that my parent database needs to have > 55GB to accomodate the request. Basically, the free space on DATABASE_DL should always be more than the group we are assigning space to. 

I always thought this resulted in not utilizing the available free space effectively.

Has that been taken care of too?

Regards

Sai Priya

Teradata Employee

I'm honestly not following the logic of the password sync issue and I believe the space issue is resolved. A great deal has changed since the Data Lab 14.00 release in December of 2011. Consider there has been four major releases since then (14.01, 14.10, 15.00, 15.10) and multiple patch levels for each of these major releases. I'd suggest getting to the current version ASAP.