Teradata Data Lab 15.10 Release

Viewpoint
Teradata Viewpoint is Teradata's strategic and innovative SOV (single operational view) for Teradata DB, Aster, and HDP Hadoop systems management and monitoring that enables Teradata's Unified Data Architecture (UDA).
Fan

Re: Teradata Data Lab 15.10 Release

Gary,

Question on the "maximum cumulative life" setting for a lab group. When you say that it will "go for approval" when the maximum duration has been reached and a new extension is requested, does that mean the Lab Group Owner would be the approver? If this is the case, in theory the lab group owner can override the maximum and could allow a lab to live on forever? Is there any way to prevent even a lab group owner from allowing certain thresholds to be broken?

Thanks!

Teradata Employee

Yes, going for approval means regardless of any "automatic" approval settings, the request exceeding the cumualtive size or life will be sent to the Lab Group Owner(s) for explicit approval. A key Data Lab management principle is the trust of the Lab Group Owner to work within the guidelines of Data Lab as they approve many if not all requests. So the only prevention would be to restrict the Lab Group Owners to those that will follow the guidelines. For instance, some Data Lab customers only allow DBAs to be Lab Group Owners. 

Not applicable

Gary,

We have ability to extend the expiration, could we add functionality to shorten the expiration.  This would help foster our business process of using the Data Lab as an exploration environment and migrating data structures, etc. to long life Data Labs or other Databases.

I can explain in more detail if you would like or give you specific examples.

Thanks!

Teradata Employee

Good News! The planned Data Lab 15.11 release will have a change expiration option as part of the View Lab Details where expiration dates can be expedited. So this will be a setting for lab group owners to modify and only for shortening an expiration as it won't allow an extension here. Data Lab 15.11 will be available later this year.

kvz
Enthusiast

Hi Gryback,

I'm getting error while decreasing size of datalab. Do you know the workaround? or is it bug?

error: size must be less than available lab group space

Thanks,

kvz

Teradata Employee

KVZ, There was an issue that is similar to what you are describing that was fixed in the Data Lab 15.10.00.02 patch. If you are using a newer version than that, you may need to file a formal incident. 

kvz
Enthusiast

Hi Gryback,

Thanks for reply!

We are using version 15.10.00.07. Seems it still not fixed.

Regards,

kvz

kvz
Enthusiast

Hello,

Actually i got what causing the issue. There is a mistake in decrease lab size window.

In case of increase lab size window, in increase size field we have to enter the size BY WHICH mb/gb/tb you want to increase the size and new size on the right side shows, what will be the new size AFTER INCREASING SPACE. So it should be same for decrease lab size but its not.

In case of decrease lab size, its showing reverse and which is wrong. For new size field its showing value of decrease size and for decrease size field its showing value of new size.

It will be cleared with screenshot. But i'm not bale to attach screenshot here.

I have escalated this to Teradata support for correction in VP vesrion 15.10.00.07.

Teradata Employee

Thanks for submitting the incident. 

kvz
Enthusiast

Hi Gryback,

Will there be any problem user may face, if i decrease datalab space through administrator not through VP portlet ??